News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Tutorial Question

Started by ssallet, November 12, 2017, 12:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssallet

Hi Folks,
I'm a total newbie -- I just got my 1st GPS handheld. It's a GPSMAP 64st. I was about to watch your tutorial about installing maps and I see the warning:

Warning: If you bought a micro-SD card that contains maps from Garmin DO NOT overwrite this card, use another card.

I did not add anything extra to the GPSMAP 64st, but I know it has a basemap and topos that come preloaded.

If I follow the instructions in the tutorial will I overwrite any maps that came with this device? I suspect the answer is "no" but want to make sure I don't start out by screwing up my device.

Thanks for tolerating a very Newbie question!
Sincerely,
Sharlene

Boyd

The short answer is that many things *might* happen to delete or corrupt the maps pre-loaded on your GPS. Therefore it's important that you make a full backup while it's new and still has all the original files.

Simply create a folder on your computer and drag all the files/folders from your GPS to it. There are probably about 3gb of files on the GPS, so it will take awhile to copy - you might want to do this at a time when you don't need either the GPS or computer for other things.

Having said that, it's not likely that you will do any harm to the pre-loaded files unless you start manually moving/deleting things. The pre-loaded map is typically in a file named gmapprom.img, and that name is reserved for maps that are provided with a GPS so Garmin's software will not touch them.