GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Display of Map Features on 64s

Started by RichL, August 15, 2017, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichL

I have used a 60cx for a lot of years and just recently purchased a 64s. The maps that I have been using in the 64s are the Garmin Topo 2008 version downloaded to the GPS with Basecamp.

In the area that I hike it is very common to cross the Montana/Wyoming while hiking. The weird thing is that on the GPS, the Montana side is a green background with the visual profiles. The Wyoming side is the old style with profile lines. Too be honest, I probably prefer the profile lines but I would sure like to know what is going on???

The 2nd issue and the one that is causing me the concern is that many of the lakes are not blue on the WY map, but instead are the same color as the background, which essentially makes them invisible on the GPS. If a lake straddles the MT/WY border, the lake is blue in MT, and invisible in WY? I downloaded the Wyoming map from GPSFileDepot and am seeing the same thing.

Talked to Garmin and their answer is that they don't support the 2008 maps anymore. :-\

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Boyd

Quote from: RichL on August 15, 2017, 10:21:51 AMIn the area that I hike it is very common to cross the Montana/Wyoming while hiking. The weird thing is that on the GPS, the Montana side is a green background with the visual profiles. The Wyoming side is the old style with profile lines.

Hard to understand exactly what you are saying. Montana has shaded 3d terrain with no elevation contours, and Wyoming doesn't have the shaded terrain but does have elevation contours?

Shaded terrain is a feature only available on Garmin's map products. There are no third party free maps that contain that feature because there is no third party software to create it.

Your 64s should include a basemap that has shaded terrain as you describe however. This is a very low resolution map with few details however, only a few major roads, political boundaries and waterbodies. It does not have elevation contours. But from what you describe, you might only be viewing the basemap in Montana.

Did you use Mapsource to install the map on your GPS? How much of the US did you try to install? It is not possible to install the entire US on the GPS, even if the file fits. You can only load about 3000 segments on your 64s - this is the total of all segments in all maps on both the memory card and internal memory. See these:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/MGHGqwrobo2AnOvlVWkSs7
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/rFMnK0E1GOAC7SG3rGhV0A

If you have exceeded the segment limit then strange things will happen - I think it could cause the sort of problem you describe. The entire Topo 2008 has about 6700 segments IIRC. So you can't even load half of the US before hitting the limit, and that assumes you don't have any other maps on the GPS.

To troubleshoot, I would remove all maps from the GPS (you can backup the files to a folder on your computer first). Now just install a small portion of the 2008 topo map in the borderline area and see if it looks OK. If so, try with a larger area. Mapsource will tell you the total number of segments you're installing in the left hand window pane.

RichL

The problem was as you thought, too many segments. This was my first time using Basecamp and it appears as though I screwed up and and loaded all maps instead of just MT and WY.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your expertise!!!

Boyd

Haha, lucky guess on my part!  ;D

Glad you got it working!