GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex 30x Changing Viewed Maps

Started by FalconCottage, November 08, 2016, 03:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconCottage

I recently purchased an eTrex 30x and subsequently downloaded a topo map from GPSFileDepot.  The map was then installed to BaseCamp and I was able to review the map prior to a hiking trip.  Basecamp successfully installed the map to the eTrex 30 x.  That's where the problems began.  I was able to "Enable" the map BUT nowhere could I find a means to View the map.  A search through the menus proved to be frustrating.  Any solutions???

Boyd

All you should need to do is enable the map, there aren't any other menu setting that would affect this. You should also disable any other maps that are installed.

Are you certain that you were inside the coverage area of the map? Did you try zooming way out and zooming way in? It's possible that you only sent a portion of the map and not the whole thing. With the eTrex connected to your computer, look inside the Garmin folder. What is the size of the map file? That might give you an idea as to whether to map is fully installed.

FalconCottage

Thank you for the reply.
The Garmin folder accessed from Windows shows the Nevada Topo at about 180 Megs and about 3.0 Gigs of available space.
But the information for the device from BaseCamp does not show the map as listed along with the other maps that camp with the unit.
I followed the process for installing the map and the software did say that it was finished installing.
I disabled the other maps, enabled the Nevada Topo, zoomed out to 800 Kms and still nothing.
Attempting to reinstall the map resulted in a message that the map had already been loaded.
Next Steps???

Boyd

Not really sure what to say. I would remove the SD card and try installing the map in internal memory to see if you get a different result. You could also try running GMTK, it can automatically fix some problems and will provide more info about the maps that are installed. http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Also, you might try to install a different map to see if that works. The answer might be as simple as a bug or incompatibility with your etrex, since it's a new model and that would not be unusual. ;)

FalconCottage

Followed your recommendation with the same end result:

1) the program completes the installation and asks that the "Finish" button be pushed
2) the unit shows the map as being enabled (in this case Utah)
3) BaseCamp does not show the map on the device listing
4) the map does not appear from the Map icon on the home screen

I have to leave for a day, so I will try the trouble shooting program a little later.

Note: The device asks for a mode (Mass Storage vs Garmin) when first plugged into the computer and I selected Mass Storage.  Was this correct?
Thanks!

Boyd

Garmin mode allows the GPS to continue functioning and send position data to your computer. Mass Storage mode allows it to be used like a USB disk. So generally you want Mass Storage.

FalconCottage

Installed and ran the suggested program and found no corruption or errors. I also installed and ran the JaVaWa Device Manager and is also indicated that there was nothing in error.  Repeated the Enabling Process and still cannot see the Nevada Topo. 

Discussions with Garmin proved to be an exercise in futility and they waived any responsibility for third party product.  Trying to push their own product???  Their absolutely useless manual is only matched by their lack of customer service.  I may be a little far off but I am assuming that there is something that prevents this process to function properly.  End of RANT.

Anything other suggestions would be appreciated.

Boyd

Garmin's response is no surprise, that has always been their position. They sell maps. Also, if you are new to Garmin, you might not fully understand the situation. As far as they're concerned, all the maps on this site violate their software license. Their map format is proprietary, they have never officially published the specs. And the license also states reverse engineering of their software is prohibited.

So all the maps here were made with third party tools that have been reverse engineered. However, Garmin understands that free third party maps help sell their products, so they choose to "look the other way" and not strictly enforce their license when it comes to free user contributed maps. I can understand why they won't provide support for this kind of problem though, I'm sure their hands are already full with all the bugs in their own software and maps. ;)

The problem is even bigger than this today unfortunately. The cgpsmapper compiler has been used for the vast majority of maps on this site (I use it for my maps). The author stopped developing this compiler a number of years ago and it has seen no update. He has been trying to sell the source code without any takers.

So, I don't buy any "conspiracy theory" that Garmin is intentionally breaking free third party maps, but their device firmware is constantly evolving and they don't have much incentive to make it work with an out-of-date third party reverse-engineered map compiler.

It would be interesting to see if the maps you're using work properly on other Garmin devices, or if this is an issue specific to your new model. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for that. You might want to send a PM the map author, they might have some suggestions.

FalconCottage

Thank you for the time that has been devoted to this issue.

I will watch and see if anyone is able to resolve this issue.

As this most likely will be the last trip into the desert southwest I see little point in paying Garmin for a map that I will most likely never use.

Boyd

Are there no other maps on this site that cover your area of interest? Would be worth giving them a try to see if they have the same problem. There's also OpenStreetMap, which is free: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

samdedwards

I am having the same problem viewing a map on my eTrex 30x.  The map is the Colorado map cogtopo11, which I downloaded from GPSFileDepot.  I installed it on my computer using MapManager, and then installed it from my computer to my Garmin using MapInstall.  No problems so far, the last message being "Installation Complete".  Using my Garmin, I went to Setup > Map > Select Map, which listed my cotopo11 map as disabled.  I enabled it and disabled the only other map listed ("Worldwide DEM Basemap").  Returning to viewing maps, nothing was showing on my device, even when I navigated to the middle of Colorado.  Very frustrating.  Any suggestions?

roadrashgixer

I just purchased an Etrex 30x.  I have the Topo 100K micro SD card and just purchased City Navigator North America, on micro SD card.

I just learned these maps cannot be downloaded onto the device's memory.  I am told I have to use the SD card and if I want to switch from one map to the other, I have to physically remove the card. 

I know these SD cards are protected and aren't supposed to be able to be modified, but is there a way?

If there was some way I could download only one of the maps to the device's memory, then I could leave the other inserted.  I'm just trying to avoid having to carry the other SD card (which could get lost) and having to physically change out the cards when I want to changt to the other map. 

Has anyone figured out a way to save the map to the device from the SD card?'

Thank you, Chad

Boyd

It is against site policy to discuss ways to circumvent Garmin's copy protection. And these forums exist primarily to discuss the free maps at GPSFileDepot, not Garmin products.

Unfortunately, you should have purchased the downloadable versions of those maps instead of cards. Can you return one or both cards? Otherwise, maybe you can sell them?

The downloadable version can be installed on any card or internal memory, but it can only be used on the original gps for which it was purchased.

roadrashgixer

I would have, except Garmin doesn't make it clear that these maps are limited when purchased on the SD card.

I had the City Navigator North America 2008 DVD for my old Etrex.  I figured this new SD card map could be downloaded or transferred onto another card or computer.

I'm extremely disappointed with Garmin for doing this and not making it perfectly clear that the SD card can't be downloaded onto the memory of a unit. 

It makes me want to stear towards another manufacturer in the future!

Boyd

Frankly I would steer towards a smartphone. I have pretty much given up on Garmin devices although I still have a bunch of them. I have over 40,000 downloads of my Garmin maps on this site. But two days ago I needed to make room on my internal drive so I archived all my Garmin projects to an external disk. Makes me sad, but I am done with making Garmin maps. I don't think their devices are a good value anymore. :(

But how long ago did you buy those maps? Did you buy them directly from Garmin? Regardless of their policy, I would give them a call (not e-mail) and explain the situation, that you found their information misleading. I wouldn't be surprised if they let you return them and gave you a credit you could use for downloads. Others have reported doing this kind of thing. The advantage of calling is that you can ask for a supervisor if the customer rep doesn't satisfy you.