GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading .gmap files onto Basecamp for MAC

Started by Kayakguy, August 07, 2017, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakguy

Can anyone help me with loading map files ending in .gmap into Basecamp on my MAC.  I was able to load .kmz files with no problem, but no luck with this other format, even though providers claim they are for MACs.  They do show up in the Map Manager, but when I try to import them into Basecamp, they show up as greyed out. I've spent many hours on the Internet trying to figure this out with no luck at all. Any help is appreciated. I have the latest version of Basecamp installed.

Boyd

It should be very easy on the Mac. If Basecamp and MapManager are correctly installed, double-clicking a .gmap or .gmapi file should cause MapManager to open and ask if you want to install the map. After confirming, open Basecamp and the map should be listed in the Map menu. You should then be able to use it on your Mac in Basecamp or send it to your GPS.

I'm not clear on exactly what doesn't work for you. Are you saying that you cannot choose or view the map in Basecamp? It is not necessary to "import" anything into Basecamp, MapManager takes care of the whole installation (which is actually very simplistic, it just moves the map files to the proper folder).

If you cannot choose the map in Basecamp or if it doesn't show on the computer screen, then I suspect there's a problem with the map you're using. Try some other maps from this site and see if they work.

Kayakguy

Thanks for the reply.  What is so frustrating is that everyone says this should be easy but with hours invested in it, I'm no closer to a solution. I've already reinstalled Basecamp and if you look at the last image I posted of MapManager, from what I can tell, MapManager shows the maps as installed and compatible with Garmin. But they remain greyed out, so I can't click on them or otherwise make them active in Basecamp. The maps do show up in the Garmin application folder in the Maps subfolder on my computer, but again, they remain greyed out and inaccessible.  All of the maps were downloaded from various sites on GPSFileDepot.

I know there must be something fundamental that I am missing here as it does not seem possible to access any file ending in .gmap, whereas files ending in .kmz are straigthforward. Others are reporting the same frustration on other sites on the Internet, and some of the responders also say it should be straightforward but it does not seem to work.  I don't know what other information I can provide to help debug so any suggestions are most welcome.

Kayakguy

Attached is screen shot of Basecamp after I select the "Import into Southwest Hikes" from the main menu.  It goes to the Garmin Applications folder and finds the Map folder, which has the .gmap files but all of them are greyed out. I hope that is helpful.

Boyd

Gotta admit, I am mystified by what you've posted. I have no problems with Basecamp on my MacBook Air, although I prefer Windows for Garmin's software.

What MapManager shows is kind of irrelevant, it's only used to install the map. Exactly what do you see in the Maps menu in Basecamp? Does it list each of the maps you installed? I don't understand what you mean by saying "they remain greyed out, so I can't click on them or otherwise make them active in Basecamp". This makes me wonder if you may not understand the concept of using Basecamp.

Where are you trying to "click on them"? You should never have to "click" on a map in Basecamp. kmz files are not really considered "maps" by Basecamp, they are treated as user data. The ONLY thing you can do with a Garmin format map in Basecamp is to select it in the Maps dropdown menu. After selecting, it should have a check mark next to it. It is then the active map that shows in the Basecamp screen. You can't "open" or "import" a Garmin map with Basecamp. Maps are treated like system files and are only accessible via the Maps menu. After you have installed a map, you don't even need to be aware of the existence of .gmap files, the software is supposed to hide those from you.

Salt1972

I just started this process tonight and spent some frustrating hours...   Once the map was installed in the map manager, I found that I had to close Basecamp and reopen it before the maps would appear in the "Map" menu.  Once I close/ reopened, I clicked on "Maps" at the top of the page and found that all installed were available in the menu to select.  Hope that helps.

tguerr16

Thank you for the post.  I was having the same issue but had no idea to look in "maps".  Once I did that "bingo" there it is.  I just got a etrex 20 and loaded a NJ topo map onto it but didn't know how to see it in base camp.  Good stuff, thanks again.

sbarga

Quote from: Kayakguy on August 07, 2017, 02:41:27 PM
Can anyone help me with loading map files ending in .gmap into Basecamp on my MAC.  I was able to load .kmz files with no problem, but no luck with this other format, even though providers claim they are for MACs.  They do show up in the Map Manager, but when I try to import them into Basecamp, they show up as greyed out. I've spent many hours on the Internet trying to figure this out with no luck at all. Any help is appreciated. I have the latest version of Basecamp installed.

j-bird

I'm trying to load the Nevada map (from this site) into Basecamp on my Mac. It appears to have down loaded correctly and I can see it in Map Manager. It is not grey, as described by the OP, (it is blue) but nothing happens when you move curser over it (like it's not highlightable) and nothing happens when you double click.

j-bird

Okay! After re-reading this thread a couple times I have found a bit better understanding of the process. I can find the NV Topo in Basecamp (by clicking "MAPS" it appears in the dropdown). Once I clicked it it appears in Basecamp.