GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin City Maps NT install question

Started by sgf, April 18, 2017, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgf

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct location. I recently bought a copy of Garmin City Maps for my Garmin Montana 610. It hasn't arrived yet. My goal was to not have to depend on cell signals needed for my smart phone GPS app when navigating authorized roadways between Hatfield & McCoy trails. I would have preferred to get the Streets software on a CD but the deal was good enough to make me get it in an SD card.

I currently have an SD card in my 610. I had to add it to have enough space to download my one year free subscription to Birds Eye View. My dilemma is what is the best way to handle this.

1. Load the Streets software on a larger capacity SD card which would leave room for Birds Eye View, and possibly Garmin's 24K SE US topo software that I may add in the future to get point by point directions.

2. Load the Streets software on the 610, assuming there is room.

I obviously don't want to swap cards back and forth. I am assuming I can move the software off the card, and that there are no restrictions build in. I am very comfortable with computer file management but I welcome any recommendations that you feel might be the best way to do this.

BTW, on a semi-unrelated note, I used BobT's WV trails map on Hatfield & McCoy's Pocahontas, Indian Ridge, and Pinnacle Creek trail connectors two weekends ago. They worked well and are far more competent than me, the user. I learned a few things along the way, like if two trails run parallel very close together it would be wise to zoom in so as not to make them look like one trail.

jolly47roger

Unless you are using an online source of map data (such as Google) a GPS app does not need Cellular signals for the GPS to function. Look at apps such as Back Country Navigator for a smartphone.

Boyd

Frankly I would return the City Navigator map if it is on a pre-loaded card. Maps that are distributed on cards can only be used on the original card. You cannot move them to internal storage or a different card; Garmin uses a form of copy protection that ties it to the hardware ID of the original card. The only advantage to this form of map is that the card can be used in any GPS as opposed to the downloadable version that is tied to the original GPS.

Garmin no longer sells maps on DVD, they discontinued that option over a year ago although I suppose you might still find some retailer with old disks available.

The downloadable version will give you more options, you can install it on your own card of any size or install it in internal memory on your Montana. I have a Montana 600 with the downloadable "lower 49" version of City Navigator installed in internal memory.

Garmin also allows you to download it again for 12 months after purchase, in case you have a problem. With the pre-loaded card, if you have a problem (like accidentally erasing the card) you are just out of luck.

In the past, Garmin used very small cards for the pre-loaded version so there wasn't enough space available to load other maps. Somewhere I read that they were using 8gb cards now, so that would leave a little extra space. But it's a bad idea to put anything else on the original card, since you risk damaging it. If you do this, be sure to backup the original card. At least in theory you would be able to restore the map to the original card in that case (not sure if that would actually work though).

Anyway, I think the downloadable version will be better for you although it will be permanently tied to your Montana and can't be used in a different GPS.

popej

Quote from: sgf on April 18, 2017, 12:29:31 PMMy goal was to not have to depend on cell signals needed for my smart phone GPS
You move in opposite direction then I. I prefer to drop Garmin and use a phone ;)

Garmin City Navigator maps are based mostly on data provided by Here (previously called Navetq). You can get the same maps on your phone for off-line navigation, it comes directly form Here. Program is called Here WeGo and is available for Android, iPhone and Windwos. While not so sophisticated navigation like a nuvi, it should be comparable to City Navigator on Montana. Did I say it is free?

On Android I tend to use OsmAnd, which is a navigation program using OpenStreetMap data. Navigation is a bit crude but I like it and I like OSM idea.

Boyd

Quote from: popej on April 19, 2017, 04:15:58 AM
You move in opposite direction then I. I prefer to drop Garmin and use a phone ;)

I have done the same thing. :)

sgf

Well, I guess I made a poor choice on this one. I'd have rather had the download but I thought I got a decent deal on the card so I went for it. Maybe I was too quick on the trigger. In the past I have used my phone when I hit  pavement. My goal, in part, was to make the 610 fully capable to where I could do anything I needed to do with only that weatherproof device.

On the upside I really like the 610. I am a long way from competency with it but I'm committed to learning more and getting the most out of it. I have a long way to go though.

Boyd

Well one advantage of the card is that you can sell it to someone else, since it will work in any GPS. I have had my Montana 600 for a long time and still like it. It's arguably the best device that Garmin has made. But really, I find my phone more useful and like the fact that I can use a variety of different apps on it.