GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Orux basics

Started by Mike B, March 31, 2017, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike B

Hey all, Mike from Pittsburgh here.  New to the forum, and Orux maps, GPS navigation....

I'm close to being technologically illiterate.  Requesting assistance getting the Orux app to work on my Samsung S5 with Bob T's ATV maps.

I have Orux installed.
I have Bob's zip file on the phone.  Read through his instructions.  I tried reading the Orux manual but its a bit over my head.

I *think* I have the map files that Bob provides in the correct directory on my phone.  However, when I hit the "maps" button in the app, I go to offline maps and cannot find the maps in the directory on my phone.

I have included a couple screen shots.  One showing the file directory on my device and one showing the popup message from the app. **Never mind** It appears I can't post a link yet and the image host on the site won't allow me upload anything yet. 

I can describe the location of "Bob T's" maps on my phone instead of providing a screenshot. 
Internal Directory/oruxmaps/mapfiles/WV ATV Trails 2016.TYP
Internal Directory/oruxmaps/mapfiles/WV ATV Trails 2016.img

When I am in the app, I press the map icon on the upper bar.
I press switch maps.
I have the option of Online or Offline
When I select Offline, there are no maps there.  There is a folder named Mulitmaps but, it is empty.

Can anyone tell me why I can't pull the ATV maps up?

Can anyone explain how I can get the maps to pop up?  I'd like the use the "WV ATV maps"

Thanks,
Mike

Mike B

I got the site image host to work for me after submitting a post.

Here is a screenshot of my directory where I placed the maps I'd like to view with Orux.

Here is a screenshot where I tried to pull up an offline map.

BobT

Mike, pm me your phone number or email and I will set up a call to resolve.

Try pressing the little circle with the two arrows in it.  This is the refresh button and will tell Orux to go read the map directory for any new maps.

Bob

Mike B

Thanks for the offer Bob, much appreciated.

I was able to get the WVATV 2016 file to display this morning.
It seems the app was looking for maps in the wrong folder.  I had to change the Maps settings in the app to look in the folder oruxmaps/mapfiles/....

After doing that I hit "switch map". Checked offline maps, and the folder was still empty.
Hit refresh a few times.
Still empty.
Re-started the phone.
Now I have 2 maps in the offline folder.  World and WVATV 2016.

Odd thing is, when I view the folder thru file manager, there a few maps in there.  Orux is only showing me 2.

Now that its working somewhat, I will try to figure out what I can.  If I get stumped I will reach out.  Thanks again!

tincan53

I am brand new to trying this.  I tried to download Orux from the app store and it seems to be in Spanish.  Does it give an option once you download it to change the language to English? Or is there another Orux app in English.  The only one I see on the app store of Android is in Spanish.  Thank you.

tincan53

I downloaded Orux.  It's not in Spanish afterall.  Now to figure out how to use it with maps that are available.  Will use the tutorials.

tincan53

Quote from: Mike B on April 03, 2017, 08:56:16 AM

It seems the app was looking for maps in the wrong folder.  I had to change the Maps settings in the app to look in the folder oruxmaps/mapfiles/....

After doing that I hit "switch map". Checked offline maps, and the folder was still empty.
Hit refresh a few times.
Still empty.
Re-started the phone.

Odd thing is, when I view the folder thru file manager, there a few maps in there.  Orux is only showing me 2.

Now that its working somewhat, I will try to figure out what I can.  If I get stumped I will reach out.  Thanks again!

I am having the same problem.  If you get a solution please post on here.  I have sent emails to Orux and asked for help.  I will post a solution if I get one.    I am about to give up and just go with Back Country Nav.   I got the maps to come up in Back Country. 

Mike B

Quote from: tincan53 on February 18, 2020, 12:59:25 PM
Quote from: Mike B on April 03, 2017, 08:56:16 AM

Hit refresh a few times.
Still empty.
Re-started the phone.

I am having the same problem.  If you get a solution please post on here.  I have sent emails to Orux and asked for help.  I will post a solution if I get one.    I am about to give up and just go with Back Country Nav.   I got the maps to come up in Back Country.

My problem was that I was clueless.  I took me a minute to realize that it took 2 files to make 1 map, that a Text file won't show up in the app but will in FMHD, etc...