News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 600 Help With Loading Maps

Started by GeorgiaSurveyor, February 06, 2017, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgiaSurveyor

Thanks in advance, guys (and gals).

I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 600 and bought a miniSD card for extra memory. I was attempting to install some maps, i.e. Georgia Topo, SC Topo, etc, onto the unit, or the card, rather. I have tried to follow instructions regarding using BaseCamp but the instructions seem outdated and don't seem to work. Can someone take me from start to finish on how this is done? I will be downloading maps from this site and will be making a donation for the help and use of the maps. Scouts Honor!
:)

kimmers71

I've been fighting with this for over a month and no luck.  And yes the BaseCamp instructions are outdated.  There is no "Install Maps" when you right click anymore.

popej

Boyd

I don't like Basecamp/MapInstall very much and mainly use Garmin's older program, Mapsource. Actually, I don't use Garmin devices much anymore as they have fallen way behind smartphones. However, try this for installing your map(s).

Connect the GPS to your computer. After a minute or so, it should appear as a USB disk. If not, then there should be a menu on the GPS in the System Settings that controls this behavior.

I will assume you have properly installed your maps on the computer and that they are viewable in Basecamp. Find the Garmin MapInstall program and open it. On my Windows 7 computer it is in Program Files (x86) > Garmin > MapInstall (if using a Mac, it will be in the Applications folder).

MapInstall should open with a window asking to select the device you want to use. It should default to your connected GPS. If not, use the Find Devices button to locate it. Click the Continue button. You should now see a list of available maps that are installed on your computer as well as any maps already installed on the GPS.

Click the map you want to install. You should see a map on the right that indicates the area that it covers. If you don't want to install the full map, click the Advanced/Partial Install button. When you do this, you can zoom in and out and then select only the tiles you want to install. There is a dropdown menu at the bottom of this window that allows you to choose any map on your computer.

If you just want to install the whole map, you don't need to bother with all this, just click the continue button instead of the Advanced button. The window will now show a summary of everything that MapInstall is going to do. If it looks correct, click the install button. Now just wait for it to complete the process. Click the finish button and you're done.

One other suggestion: before you even attempt to install any maps, make a full backup of the GPS internal memory as well as any memory card you are using. Just copy all the files to a folder on your computer. This could make your life a lot easier if something goes wrong later.

Pretty easy, huh? :)

BobT

In my hobby everyone has gone to tablets.  If Garmin does not start making their stuff easier to use and connect they are going to be out of the GPS business.  Basecamp is ridiculously complex for beginners.