Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading via BaseCamp fails

Started by glendeni, January 17, 2017, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic


After hearing from a user of my Garmin map that BaseCamp had failed to load it into her etrex, I tried the same using my Windows BaseCamp and got "There is a problem with your Big Sur Trailmap installation.  Re-install the product and try again."  Of course, re-installation gave the same result.  My map is complex, with cgsmapper compiles (of contours and streams), with mkgmap compiles (of trails, boundaries, and other data), and with TYP files - and it routable.  I use  NSI to produce an installation file which does install and display correctly in my BaseCamp (and is routable there).  Many years ago, when first creating the map, I was able to successfully install the map to my GPS using BaseCamp.  But since then my usual procedure has been to install the map by simply writing the corresponding IMG file to the GPS Garmin directory, not installing via MapSource (since updating MapSource is a slow procedure).

There have been considerable changes from the initial map (e.g. inclusion of a wildfire polygon) and I don't know at what point the BaseCamp problem developed.  The error message is obviously not helpful.  The only way I can think of trying to solve this is by successively removing elements from the map (e.g. first the wildfire polygon, then the trails, then the contours, ...) until it works. That would be very time consuming and I'm don't think I can devote that time.  Still, I want to make a quick attempt at finding a solution.  So my question is: is there some method (e.g. a software package) of testing the installation executable, one which would provide more useful error messages?

And if anyone has advice on how to best proceed in ferreting out the problem, I would love to hear it!



Probably you have problem with extra files needed to create a mapset - tdb, index, overview map. How do you create your mapset for BaseCamp?

You can try MapSetToolKit and run "Check Registry" procedure to see if mapset is correctly installed.


Thanks for your reply.  I will have to dig a bit to re-remember the creation details.  But before working on that I tried using MapsetToolkit, since I already had that installed.  Clicking on my map in the "Mapset Installed" pane highlights it in dark brown, then clicking "Check Registry" changes the highlight to gray with no messages appearing - does that mean that no problem was found or does that mean that MapsetToolkit failed to function?


Check registry shows all records, indicating errors. Here screenshot with no errors detected:


When it rains it pours.  MapsetToolkit seems broken on my PC - for example many of the menu labels are missing, see the attached screenshot.  I tried restarting my Windows 7, tried a new download and re-install of MapsetToolkit, tried changing compatability setting to Windows XP.  But none of those produced anything different.  Will have to think about how to proceed.


Gave up on trying to get MapsetToolkit to work and as a quick thing to try removed the last addition to my map, a polygon showing a wildfire forest closure area.  Lo and behold, the problem went away - specifically,  I could download the map to a GPS after installing it on BaseCamp.  Given that, I traced things back and discovered that although I'd included a link to the polygon IMG file for the full map IMG build, both the .EXE and Gmap versions required a link to it from another location, which I'd failed to do.  So now have an explanation.  (And in retrospect, I should have noticed that the polygon was not being displayed in BaseCamp, as a clue that something was missing.)

I thought success was in sight but it turned out to be only partial.  Adding that link then produced a failure of the Gmap build!  Further investigation found that it fails when using an IMG produced by a cgpsmapper compile while succeeding using one compiled by mkgmap (for the same .mp file).  Do not understand that!

But also obtained another strange result. I'll put up a separate thread to not obfuscate this one.  Briefely I found the same IMG file renders differently on etrex30 and GPSMAP64 GPSs (and the one on the etrex30 is unacceptable).