GPSFileDepot.com

point symbols in GPSMapedit don't show up in Garmin/mapsource

Started by newwood, July 27, 2009, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newwood

So points that I add to maps in GPSmapedit (e.g symbols for mines, nav aids, cities etc) show up fine GPSmapedit but don't show up in mapsource or on my GPSr.  This isn't a problem of levels (they extend up to level 3).  What's the story?  I don't use a TYP file in mapsettoolkit, but I didn't think that was necessary for these symbols.  What am I doing wrong?

newwood

maps4gps

As pointed out in the cgpsmapper manual, some things do not work as you expect.  I have found that Garmin point symbols do not displayed beyond a certain level (21?), no matter what more general level they are set to display to.  Similiar for the railroad line symbol.

newwood

Are there a set of point symbol types that are known to work?  (by the way maps4gps: I love the wisco topos you did--nice job!  Now if there were only trails too)

maps4gps

Objects display in MapEdit to the bit-level specified; on the GPSr Garmin has some max display levels.  I have not heard of any documentation on these; you just have to spend time and try.  Make a test file with the different types using coords around you so you can easily pan to them on the GPSr.  When I did this 1 1/2 yrs ago, I found some polygon types do not even display on the GPSr, many are the same color, all hydro lines display as the same blue line, there are only 3 or 4 different road displays.  The pointer may indicated different feature 'levels', but the display on the GPSr is the same.  

Trails - we 'all' wish.  If someone has found a file of trails at the National level, they are not telling.  There is a site with NW trails from track logs that individuals contribute; and one with midcont snowmobile routes.  Some have made these into an overlay mapset(s).  The Garmin dashed light gray line for trails is nearly invisible on a GPSr.

- update -
With levels at 24,22,20,18.16 and 14 and the data set to 16 and 60csx in normal detail display:
point types 1300 (marine unknown), 1400 (major country name, 1D00 & 1D01 (tidal prediction), 2800 (label) and 2F04 (Airport) are the only ones which display past 800' (same for the railroad line).
The above will display at 0.2 miles in the 'more' detail and at 0.3 miles in the 'most' detail setting.
MapSource did display past these levels, but was giving different results with 'normal', 'normal' + preview, and overlay mapsets - my test file was not designed for this, so the short line segements and small polygons may have effected the results.
If you build a test mapset, I would suggest NOT including polygon type 4B (map coverage area) and probably 4A (map select area) - unless you are testing an overlay it is very difficult to use on the GPSr.
Results might not be the same with different versions of mapedit, cgpsmapper, MapSource, GPS software, and/or GPS unit.
As usual - we could be of more help if you attached at small .mp file of you data so someone could look at it and test it.  Did the points display on the GPSr at the 800' or 500' zoom levels with display detail set to normal?

newwood

Yes, I thought it might come down to the experimental approach--I was just hoping someone had recreated the wheel before me.  I had done that with polygon fills some time ago and found a very limited set of different color/patterns that actually showed up (although again I can't help but wonder if a TYP file might not allow greater choices).  I haven't done lines yet (I got lucky on a few) but that clearly is going to need to be part of the experiment--although here the TYP file clearly is known to provide solutions: both NW Trails and Montana Trails have trails showing up as nice red dashed lines (and NW Trails has recently enhanced this so it shows up all the way to level 3 which is great if you're interested in trails).

Interestingly, although NW Trails is based on track logs, Montana Trails added to that set from some other source to come up with additional (unvalidated) trails.  But I don't know where he pulled those from or whether they are available for other states.

Newwood

maps4gps

Typ files would be the way to go if the Garmin 'prelimits' are not usable for you.  Oz and others have pointed out that not all units can use typ files, so I have not used them in my maps intended for a wide audience.  My update got posted after yours, so be sure to read it.  Let us know what your findings are.