GPSFileDepot.com

New Oregon 600 - See gpsfiledepot topo maps in Basecamp but not on GPS

Started by k2ham, October 24, 2016, 12:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k2ham

Good afternoon,

I've installed the latest Basecamp (4.6.2) on my Win10 laptop and have also installed two maps from gpsfiledepot (127-1914-tennessee_topo_install.exe and 130-8200-north_carolina_topo_install.exe). I connect the Oregon to my computer and Basecamp recognizes it fine. Basecamp also runs Mapinstall and says that it installs these two topo maps to my device. I can select the top maps and view them in Basecamp but they don't show up in the left hand pane in Basecamp under Devices for the Oregon 600 and they don't show up within the selections of maps available on the Oregon 600 itself. I do have a 64GB SD card (fat formatted) in the Oregon and I can see the topo maps installed in the Garmin folder on the SD card via Windows Explorer.

Any ideas as to why Basecamp can see these maps and says that it has installed them on the Oregon 600 (which it seems to have done via seeing them in the SD card's Garmin folder) yet I don't see them/can't find them on the Oregon 600 itself?

Thank you !

Boyd

If I understand correctly, the reason you see them in Basecamp is simply because they're installed on your computer. Typically, only Garmin products will show under the device in Basecamp. A map has to have a certain "flag" to be read from the device in Basecamp. You can usually set this yourself with a program such as JavaWa Device Manager. See: http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

As for the rest, a memory card can be compatible with your computer and work properly in Basecamp, yet incompatible with the GPS itself. I have seen conflicting reports as to whether 64gb cards work on the Oregon 600. The first thing I'd try for troubleshooting purposes would be to use a smaller card, such as 16gb.

There's no reason you'd ever need 64gb due to some other stringent limitations to map sizes that are completely unrelated to the size of the files themselves. See my post about segment limits here: https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=4268.0

k2ham

Thanks for the reply Boyd. The information you provided helped me fix the issue. I first took out the SD card and then tried installing the maps and everything worked fine so the SD card was the problem. It ended up that the card was formatted exfat. I properly formatted it to fat32 using Parted Magic/Gparted and then tried installing the maps again on the card and everything worked great once again. Thanks also for the tip about JavaWa Device Manager. I've installed it and am now using it with the Oregon. P.S. I understand what you are saying about the excessive size of the SD card... it was a spare taken from another device that was not being used.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Boyd