GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

UTAH ATV Trails 2016 Map mac version issue

Started by snelson, October 06, 2016, 09:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snelson

Anyone else having issues with the new utah atv trails download?  I download it and normally it can click on it and it unzips file to a .gmapi file that will open right up in basecamp.   Help anyone?

BobT

I am the maker of that map.  I make the PC version and then convert it to Mac format.  I do not have a Mac so I cannot test it.  Hopefully someone with a Mac will chime in as to whether they are having issues.  I am currently out of town.  When I get back I will take a look at the file and perhaps remake it.

Boyd

You could just download the Windows version and convert it for the Mac yourself: http://www.javawa.nl/mapconverter_en.html

snelson

I tried to convert it on my mac, but I can't do anything with the windows download file on my mac...... I will wait to see if you can rebuild the map when you get back in town for mac.  Thanks

Boyd

Sorry, but I think you are doing something wrong or perhaps there's a software problem on your Mac. I just downloaded the Mac version of this map  - is this what you're talking about?

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/653/

It's a small file and downloaded quickly. Double-clicking the downloaded file extracted the Utah ATV Trails.gmap file. Double-clicking that file opened MapManager and installed the map in Basecamp. Everything looks fine to me.

I am using MacOSX 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) however, which is several versions behind the current Mac System. My version of Basecamp is also old, so that might make a difference.

Boyd

Just to follow up... I downloaded the current Mac version of Basecamp here: http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Installed it on another Mac that is running MacOSX 10.11.4 (El Capitan). The Utah map installation went exactly the same on this machine. @BobT - I think your Macintosh map is fine, there must be some other problem here. Perhaps it's as simple as a corrupted download?

snelson

Ok, thanks Boyd.  I will check it out when I get home and try it again on on my mac.  I am running Mt. lion 10.8.5 as well....  It downloads for me, but when I double click on it it does not extract into a gmap file that will open right up in basecamp.  I know what you are talking about because all my other map downloads when as you mentioned....  I have even tried deleting and re-downloading several times.  I will give it another whirl tonight if I get a chance.  Thanks!

Boyd

FWIW, the downloaded file is named Utah ATV Trails 2016-12345196.gmap-653.tgz and it is 476,160 bytes

It opens automatically in Archive Utility on my Mac, but I might have manually configured it to do that. If this doesn't happen, right-click (or control-click) the file and choose Open With > Other. Then browse to find the Archive Utility program which is located in the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder on Mountain Lion.

If that works but nothing happens when you double-click the .gmap file, then I would re-install Basecamp. Have seen reports that the app store version sometimes does not work properly, so I suggest that you download directly from Garmin using the link I posted earlier.

Boyd

Scratch that, the new version of Basecamp requires MacOSX 10.10. You will need to use the legacy version here instead: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4939

BobT

snelson

correction I am on 10.6.8 operating system...  anyways I was about to post a picture of the file I was extracting, since it was exactly what you were describing.  I guess this is multiple files within that this folder.  I am used to getting single gmapi files that open directly with basecamp.  Maybe this is normal, I am no expert on basecamp and am learning...  I got the idea to drag the whole folder Boyd mentioned above into the maps folder of my basecamp application files and it is working great.  Thanks for the help Boyd.  Question is there an easier way or just another way you move these download files into mapmanager? 

Boyd

What you describe indicates that Basecamp was not correctly installed. But 10.6.8 is a really old version of MacOSX!

Yes, .gmap and .gmapi are in fact folders and not files. This is how the Mac works "under the hood". It uses something called "packages" which are actually folders that are displayed as files when a program is correctly installed. This is a mechanism to hide the complexity of software installation from the user.

Take a look in your Applications folder. Do you see a program named Garmin MapManager? My guess is that it isn't there or that it doesn't work for some reason. MapManager is part of the Basecamp download and should be automatically installed when you download. When MapManager is correctly installed, the .gmap folder will appear as a file.

Did you try re-installing as I suggested? If so, then perhaps even the legacy version isn't compatible with 10.6.8

.gmap and .gmapi are basically the same thing. But a .gmapi folder has a .gmap folder inside. It's possible that old versions of MapManager requires .gmapi files I suppose. You could test this by creating a folder with the same name and then drag the .gmap folder inside it. Now change the extension of that folder to .gmapi and see if it then works properly.

But you have basically solved it for now, all that MapManager does is move the .gmap folder to the correct location, like you did manually. I would still try to figure out what is going on though, and if MapManager is missing then re-download/install Basecamp to see if that fixes it.

snelson

I will have to do some digging and see if I can figure out why it was not working right out the gate.  I find it strange that I have not had any other issues with other maps I have downloaded.....  And yes I know I am running a really old version of MacOSX.  Apple wont let me upgrade my mac even though it appears my system would meet the requirements.....  Just their way of getting me to buy a new computer I think!   ;)  Thanks for the feed back!

Boyd

You still haven't confirmed whether you have Mapmanger installed on your computer. If so, open it and choose "install map" from the File menu. Then browse to find the map file and see if you can open it that way.

If it won't open the file, then - as I said above - it may be that old versions of MapManager are only compatible with .gmapi files and not .gmap files like the Utah map.

snelson

I do have Mapmanager installed and it is working properly.  I was hung up on the folder that was created instead of the .gmapi file that I was used to seeing.  Thanks