GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin GPSMAP 64s

Started by Beaver Whisperer, August 25, 2016, 03:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaver Whisperer

I am having difficulty trying to use this unit to navigate to a point as I am used to doing on my older unit. With that older model you place curser on a desired destination, press "MARK" and begin navigating (I believe). Now with the 64s, if I try that it marks (waypoint) where I am standing instead and I'm having quite a time establishing the point I want as a destination to get guidance from the GPS to get there!! (Guess maybe I should be asking GARMIN) If I finally do get my point established and marked, then if I say navigate; I get a notice that there are no established routes available or some such garble and it's a dead end! (Feeling like this tool is really worth hundreds of $$"s)  Anyone got the answer?

Boyd

I don't have 64s, I have a Montana and an old 60csx. But I think the concepts are similar on all recent Garmin units. Marking waypoints really has nothing to do with routes. It just marks a point. You could then use that point in a route, but it is not required.

Typically, the procedure would be to drag the map around until you see the destination. Now click on that location. On a touchscreen like the montana, you just tap the screen. On your 64s, I imagine you would use the cursor buttons to move and the enter button to select. I think you will then see an option to route to the location you have selected.

The error message you see is probably because the map you are using does not support routing. Maps must be made a special way in order to create routes that follow the roads and trails. These are called routable maps. If a map is not routable, then all the unit can do is draw a straight line from your current location to the destination. If this is what you want to do, then you will need to change the activity type to direct routing.

Red90

If I remember later, I will look on my 64 and let you know how to mark a new waypoint on the map.  But most likely as above.  Scroll / Enter, then Mark or choose from options. 

As to the routing, you have the settings setup to follow roads and must not have a routable road map installed.  You want direct routing.  You change that in the settings under Routing.  You can also change the settings to "prompt" for a routing type.  I would guess you are in the automotive profile, so another option is to switch to another profile.

Red90

Scroll to the location, press Enter.  You may get a list of choices.  The first is the cursor location.  Press Enter again and it will mark the waypoint.

MrMatty

Anyone have any info on the best battery for the Garmin64s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

margo

It sounds like you are "marking" a waypoint. To navigate to something you want to "find" a waypoint.

On my other garmins you can scroll to a part on the map and hit enter and it will make a waypoint, then you can navigate to it.