GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Unable to install MapInstall software

Started by frtnt640, July 20, 2016, 07:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frtnt640

I am unable to install the Garmin MapInstall software to obtain your maps.  I have a Mac computer and a Garmin GPSMap 64 GPS.  The Mapinstall software displays the message, "No unlocked maps were found for this device" and the continue button is unlit and I am unable to move from that display page whenever I turn on the software.  I am also unable to uninstall the software as it will not drop into the trash bin.  Strangely a wide green upward-pointing arrow is displayed above the software icon.  I don't know what more to do.

Boyd

The green arrow is just part of the MapInstall icon.  ;D

For starters, I would reinstall the entire Basecamp package (which includes MapInstall and MapManager). Did you originally install the app store version? I have read about problems with that from time to time, so I would use the version directly from Garmin's site. Depending on your version of MacOS, you might have to change some security settings to do this

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

Aside from that, the error message is telling you that no maps are installed on your computer. This can be a bogus error in some cases, but it might also just be telling you the truth. What maps have you installed on your Mac?

You must first install maps on your computer using MapManager, then you can choose all or part of them to send to your GPS using MapInstall. Try opening Garmin Basecamp. You can choose which map to display using the Map menu. What maps are listed there? If the only item is the Global Map, then you have not properly installed any maps, so you can't send anything to your GPS.

frtnt640

Thanks Boyd for clearing up a few items.  I have no maps on my new 64 except the included worldwide base map.  I would like to download trail maps for NM.  I redownloaded the base camp software.  Following the tutorial, "How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit", step 4, I right-click on my device name.  There are 9 choices, but there is no choice labeled, "Install maps".  I am unable to go any further.   :-\

frtnt640

If I'm supposed to first install maps using MapManager, then how it that done?  When I turn it on  it only says "No compatible maps were detected" :D

Boyd

I'm afraid you may be missing the point. You cannot install GPSFileDepot maps directly to your GPS. You must first install them on your computer. When you do this sucessfully, you will be able to select and view them in Basecamp. The error messages are telling the truth: there are no maps on your computer and therefore you cannot install anything on the GPS.

Simply double-clicking a .gmapi file should launch MapManager, which will ask if you want to install the map. But the problem is, virtually none of the mapmakers on this site have Macs and they don't understand how they work (sorry guys ;) ). So they blindly follow an ancient tutorial here from the very early days of Garmin's Mac compatibility. This results in them creating .tgz files, which are rather obscure and confusing. I have developed my own system for uploading maps in a format that works for both Macs and PC's, but haven't had any luck in convincing others to change. It is what it is....

But see this recent post from someone else who just figured it out. :)

https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=4233.0

Quote from: rickhofftx on July 15, 2016, 09:30:18 AM

Procedure to load maps from GPSFileDepot on to Garmin via Mac

1. connect Garmin device via USB cable to Mac
2.  Download selected file (*.tgz) from GPSFileDepot
3. Open with "Stuffit Expander" which should create a *.gmapi file
4. "double click" *.gmapi file
5. Open Garmin MapInstall App (file should be present)
6. "click on" Send Maps

frtnt640

Thanks again Boyd.  I got the maps downloaded and loaded on my new Garmin 64.  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to display the one I want.  My Gps screen will only show my pre-installed worldwide base map.  I followed the instructions entitled "How to change which map is displayed on a Garmin GPS".  The 64 was identical to the first set on instructions on the tutorial.  However, when I enabled my desired map & disabled my pre-installed map, no map was displayed on the GPS screen.  How do I get my new Trail map to display?

Boyd

What map did you download? On the download page, does it show this icon (indicating that it is a transparent overlay)?

If so, then it is probably working correctly. These transparent maps typically only contain trails and points of interest. Therefore, they are mostly blank. This kind of map is only useful when it is eanbled at the same time as a detailed map, such as a topo or streetmap. The transparent map then adds the trails to the other map.

So you will probably want to choose a topo map that covers your area of interest and also install it on the GPS. Then enable it along with the trail map, and drag the map to an area where you know there are trails. You should see them then.

Note that this only works on the GPS itself. Basecamp can only display one map at a time, but the GPS allows you to enable multiple maps.