GPSFileDepot.com

How to get a .tgz file onto my Garmin GPSmap 62

Started by rickhofftx, July 15, 2016, 06:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickhofftx

I just downloaded the Southern Alberta trail maps file (78-611-southern_alberta_trail_maps_mac.tgz file to my iMac running OS X (version 10.11.5).  When I double click on this file it creates a .cpgz file.

How do I get either of these files into Base Camp or MapInstall to load onto my device?  The images in the tutorial to laod onto a Mac appear to be "out of date".

rickhofftx

I am answering my own question -- this is the procedure that worked for me:

Procedure to load maps from GPSFileDepot on to Garmin via Mac

1. connect Garmin device via USB cable to Mac
2.  Download selected file (*.tgz) from GPSFileDepot
3. Open with "Stuffit Expander" which should create a *.gmapi file
4. "double click" *.gmapi file
5. Open Garmin MapInstall App (file should be present)
6. "click on" Send Maps

Red90

You are better off going to the source.  http://albertatrailmaps.ca/downloads.htm  since the version here is out of date.  I'll try and get it updated.  On my site, I've switched to a ZIP file as apparently TGZ is not natively supported in MACs.  I have no access to a MAC and it is difficult to get MAC owners to provide feedback.

Boyd

A .zip file is definitely the way to go, they can simply be double-clicked. This will give the user a .gmapi file which can be double-clicked to install. But, IIRC, gpsfiledepot doesn't allow you to upload a Mac version of a map with anything except a .tgz file.

Personally I prefer the Universal Installer approach, which is an option that allows you to upload one file that can be used on either a Mac or Windows machine. For one thing, it is half the size of uploading separate versions. But it also avoids all the Windows registry issues people are constantly having.

This thread is long and rambling, but it explains how to create these: https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=2383.0

Red90

Quote from: Boyd on July 25, 2016, 09:18:26 AM
A .zip file is definitely the way to go, they can simply be double-clicked. This will give the user a .gmapi file which can be double-clicked to install. But, IIRC, gpsfiledepot doesn't allow you to upload a Mac version of a map with anything except a .tgz file.

Personally I prefer the Universal Installer approach, which is an option that allows you to upload one file that can be used on either a Mac or Windows machine. For one thing, it is half the size of uploading separate versions. But it also avoids all the Windows registry issues people are constantly having.

This thread is long and rambling, but it explains how to create these: https://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=2383.0

The site does allow ZIP.  I just uploaded an update.

I could change to the single style install, I suppose.  Maybe one day when I get bored.  My installer does not, and never has had the registry issues.  I've never had an install complaint from a Windows user.