GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

City Navigator vs. City Navigator NT sd or dvd

Started by neehooya, July 21, 2009, 01:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neehooya

First of all, Great forum! Congrats and Thank you!

Second, I've been reading about the maps from Garmin, several of you mention to get dvd vs. sd.
Is there any particular reason?
Why would you choose dvd vs. sd?

???

I'm looking for two maps for my 550t.
First would be topo 24 of CO and UT and second for driving purposes City Nav.
How does the topo24 from Garmin compares to the one on the site?
I will use the unit for MTB, 4WD, hiking and climbing.
Knowing that I have pre-loaded 100k topo what are your recommendations/suggestions?
and which format would you use?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

-Oz-

The DVD will allow you to combine Garmin's maps with maps from here so they're all available all the time from the GPS.  In addition then you can view them on the computer to help you plan your trips.

For the topos:
- The ones here are better IMO than Garmin's EXCEPT that they don't autoroute on roads.

So, if you are going to use it for driving I would get City Navigator 2009 or 2010 and then use the free topo maps here to augment the 100k topo that is already on there.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

neehooya

Oz,
thank you for your answer, it seems that you are one of the few that takes its time and replies to the posts.  :D - thanks.
One more question, what is the difference between city navigator NT and city navigator? can not find the answer anywhere.
I also noticed that garmin sales cn for lower 49 states which one is better?
Much appreciate your knowledge and answers.

-Oz-

NT is a compressed version; should work fine on your 550t and take up less space; older GPS units can't handle the NT version.

And if its the lower 49 (sure its not the lower 48) it'll work fine as long as you don't go to Alaska or Hawaii; I live in alaska so it definitely wouldn't work for me.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

neehooya

Thank you,

I checked with Garmin site it says: CN North America for lower 49?

Boyd

If you are using a Nuvi 550 then there should not be a problem combining maps on a pre-loaded data card with maps from here. That restriction would only apply to older models like the GPSMap 60csx or eTrex series which can't have maps loaded into internal memory as well as a data card.

One advantage to buying maps on a data card is that you can use them on any GPS you choose, although only one at a time (the cards cannot be copied so you must use the original one).

If you buy maps on DVD, they must be unlocked for a specific GPS unit, and they cannot then be installed on another one - even if you sell the GPS or if it gets stolen. But as Oz says, they have the advantage of being usable on your computer for trip planning. The pre-loaded data cards cannot be used on a computer.

The "lower 48" maps are a reduced size mapset which doesn't include Canada, Hawaii or Alaska. This is used on some of the cheaper Nuvi models like the 200 and 205.

neehooya

Boyd,

thank you for your answer as well. I'm sorry I wasn't clear when I was referring to 550t, I meant Oregon 550t. So it looks like I have the map issue covered. You guys are amazing. Thank you. I'm sure I will have more questions along the "gps road".   ;)

greenfire6

I've been using City Navigator v8 in my PC to support my motorcycle mounted GPSmap 276c for years with few complaints.

Lately I've been wondering if I should purchase City Navigator NT so joined this Forum and did a search to see what I could find out.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly I should just stick with what I have. Right?

Thanks!
(I know this topic is old but so am I!  :P )

maps4gps

You can probably best determine if the area(s) you use it for have changed to an extent which effects the usability of what you currently have. 

Boyd

You need to first determine whether your GPS will support the City Navigator NT maps. I'm not familiar with your model, but some older units (like the streetpilot 2600 series) can't use the NT maps. Garmin has discontinued the non-NT maps. From their knowledge base:

Question:
Can I update my non-NT version of City Navigator North America?

Answer:
At this time, the non-NT version of City Navigator has been discontinued and is no longer available.

The full version disk option for City Navigator North America (non-NT) has also been discontinued, however some stock is still available for the full 2009 mapping version. Please note, if this product is purchased, there will no longer be updates available.

Until we deplete our stock, you can purchase the full version of City Navigator 2009 here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=280&pID=8465

If you have a compatible device, it is suggested that you purchase the City Navigator NT software. The full version of City Navigator North America NT retails for $99.99 plus tax and applicable shipping. The City Navigator North America NT software can be purchased directly through the Garmin website in download, DVD or preprogrammed card format or from one of our many Garmin dealers in DVD format. It is available here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1456&pvID=2743

To check comparability, select the Products tab on the City Navigator North America NT page: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1456&pvID=2743#productTab.

-Oz-

Note that now you can technically view maps on an SD cards via Garmin Basecamp
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd