GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Tutorial Part 2 - Elevation Data Merging Problems

Started by Mrbamboo, May 30, 2016, 04:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrbamboo

I am trying to merge the shp files for contour lines using FWTools2.4.7 in Windows 10.  I have only placed 2 shape file directories in the "dem" folder, and after running the bat file, nothing.

Is there an issue with Win10 and FWTools, or is there a work-around for merging?

Mrbamboo

Mrbamboo

Well I found a piece of shareware to do it in windows 10.  GeoMerge

-Oz-

I use it in Windows 10 currently. Does the BAT file have the correct locations for FW Tools?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Mrbamboo

Yes, the path pointed towards fwtools, and it is placed in the dem folder. 
I watched it thru the cmd window, it looked like the switches had issues and each time it went to process a new file it would give me the "help" for using the switches, then go on the the next file. 

-Oz-

can you take a picture with the snipping tool and attach it?

Seeing that error would tell me which part has an issue.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Mrbamboo

The batch file is working thru the file structure for each shape file, but no merged shape file is being created.  See attachments as to the file structure and the running of the batch file from the cmd line.

Here is the batch file

set contourfolder="E:\Garmin\California_Topo\Downloads\"
cd %contourfolder%
for /r %%f in (*.shp) do (
if not exist %contourfolder%\mergedcontours.shp (
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FWTools2.4.7\bin\ogr2ogr" -f "esri shapefile" %contourfolder%\mergedcontours.shp %%f ) else (
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FWTools2.4.7\bin\ogr2ogr" -f "esri shapefile" -update -append %contourfolder%\mergedcontours.shp %%f -nln Mergedcontours )
)

Mrbamboo

Found the issue, use the batch file from combining the streets, and edit it for the contours.  It works! 

The only issue is that it has a 5gm -1mbĀ± limit.  So, break up the files into parts and then merge each one, to later combine together.  Which I am finding out QGIS has a limit also.  Has anyone ran into this issue?

Mrbamboo