GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't register garminmap 60csx can I put my states maps on it?

Started by doghouse, May 24, 2016, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doghouse

Lost my Garminmap GPSmap 60csx Thinking of buying another used one. If I can not register it at Garmin will I still be able to put my state's map on it for trails etc?

Thanks in advance for any info / help
I spent half my life riding, the other half I wasted.

Boyd

I assume you are talking about an actual Garmin 24k map and not the maps from this site?

If so, then it depends on what you have. If you purchased the map on DVD, then it will not be locked and you can install it on any GPS without restriction. If you purchased the map on SD card, then it can be used in any GPS, however it cannot be copied to another SD card. So you will need the original card.

If you purchased the map by download, then it will be locked to the original GPS it was purchased for. In that case, it is irrelevant whether or not you can register the new GPS. Garmin downloads only work on the original GPS, period. They cannot be used on a different unit.

So actually, it doesn't matter whether or not you can register the new GPS. Registration has nothing to do with Garmin's map locking scheme. Maps are tied to the unit ID of the GPS itself, not the owner they are registered to.

doghouse

Let me try to rephrase my question. If I purchase a garminmap 60csx GPS that I cannot add to my own account at Garmin because it has not been deleted from previous owners account - - Like if I get one used from ebay or where ever. I need to know if I am going to be able to put maps on it for my area from this site. I would rather use free ones if possible.

Just trying to figure in the total cost of any unit I buy. Like can I use it with free maps or must I buy maps or am I totally not going to be able to put more maps on at all?

Boyd

That maps that are actually hosted on this site are all free and don't utilize any form of copy protection. They can be installed on any Garmin GPS, the registration status is irrelevant.

Now some of the maps listed on this site are not actually hosted at gpsfiledepot, they provide a link the the author's website. That kind of map might be a commercial product that utilizes copy protection. You would need to contact the author(s) of that kind of map to learn their policy.

If you purchase a "real" garmin map on pre-loaded SD card, it will work on any Garmin GPS, regardless of registration status. If you purchase a "real" garmin map by download, you must first connect your GPS before completing the purchase. I don't know if this would be an issue if the GPS is registered to a different person. You should contact Garmin directly if you want to know for sure.

doghouse