News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Issue using My Trails

Started by julchak, May 17, 2016, 10:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

julchak

Hey,
So I'm a total rookie when it comes to the gps world. Just got a Garmin 64s for a backcountry trip in WV soon. I've been able to get a WV TOPO along with a 24k topo map installed just fine. I went to get My Trails and followed the procedure in the readme file for extracting the trails, boundaries and locations as tracks and waypoints, and have been able to get this to show on my GPS, however it is giving me a headache.

When I turn my GPS on it gives me the error of "Maximum number of GPX files exceeded"....I've gone through and erased all the tracks and even taken off the My Trails map which I accidentally installed the first time I tried getting My Trails on there (didn't realize you needed to convert the tracks and what not in another program) and tried to re-do it (in case there were multiples) to no avail. Needless to say I don't know why it is doing this, and don't think it is allowing my gps to function properly (can't record any more tracks)....Additionally where BC automatically transfers all my tracks into the GPS when I plug it in, I can never seem to fix the issue. When I go into track manager on my GPS I would really just like to see the one track which I had made (by joining segments on the tracks in My Trails to my planned hike), however it just shows the portion of the giant list of tracks from My Trails which it managed to import....

What am I missing in the correct install process of the trails from My Trails so that this error doesn't happen?

z_statman

If I understand your procedure then you must install Trails then via a mapping ap like MapSource x'f to your GPSr. This will load the img file which the unit uses

Boyd

I don't use MyTrails, but I think this is what happened. MyTrails is a transparent overlay map that is designed to be used at the same time as a "regular" map, such as the WV topo. If you enable MyTrails and the topo at the same time on the GPS, the trails will be added to the map.

However, this only works on the GPS and not on your computer in Basecamp or Mapsource. These programs can only display one map at a time, and if you choose MyTrails then there won't be much to see since it only includes trails and there will be lots of blank areas.

As a work-around, the MyTrails author provided a method to extract the trails to .gpx files. This allows them to be displayed along with a topo map in Basecamp. But this solution is only intended for use on your computer, as a way to get around the one-map-at-a-time limit of Basecamp.

To use MyTrails on your GPS, you would install it just like any other map - see: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Then enable both MyTrails and the WV topo in the Map Setup menu on the GPS and you should be good to go. You should not install the .gpx files on your GPS.

julchak

There we go! Yeah I guess I just didn't quite have a full grasp on how to properly use BC with MyTrails and the GPS.

But yes, Boyd, I had everything right on the PC - MyTrails loaded with overlaid tracks which I had created as jbenson had detailed in his instructions, but then had gone ahead and copied ALL of those onto the GPS AND installed the MyTrails map on there.

I've now gone back, gotten rid of all the tracks and waypoints that I didn't need, used the tracks to create a joined segment of them for my hike in BC and transferred that along with the necessary waypoints from MyTrails.

It's certainly not the most complicated of procedures, however where I didn't have any idea what I was doing at the get-go, it took some time.

Got it all loaded up and looking correct now on the GPS!

Thanks guys!