GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

custom map point problems

Started by dunkard_trapper, April 26, 2016, 01:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunkard_trapper

I have an Oregon 450T  and I made a custom map in Global Mapper and exported it as a polish .MP file.  I used cGPSMapper to convert it to a .img.  I uploaded it on my unit however the points are not visible?  I can get lucky and click on one and it shows up with all the right information but when I "let go" of the symbol its gone again.  All the linework is present but none of the symbols are visible

Boyd

For the maximum control over the appearance of the map, create a custom .typ file. This article is old, but still applicable, see the section on custom types to understand the concept involved:

http://cgpsmapper.com/download/GM8DocV2.pdf

There are several better ways to create custom types now using user-friendly software with additional capabilities not available in that tutorial. I use TypViewer, it is free: https://sites.google.com/site/sherco40/

There is also TypWiz but it isn't free: http://pinns.co.uk/osm/typwiz3.html

dunkard_trapper

Thanks for the reply but I don't think thats going to help I'll give it a try later today.  I remember this same problem happening with this unit when I first bought it.  I got a custom map for the BWCA and the same problem occured  the line work was visible but the symbols (POI) were not showing up unless you clicked on the actual POI then it would show up while you had it selected and as soon as you navigated off the point it is gone again.
This leads me to believe that its not something I did wrong in making the custom map but is instead something wrong with the GPSr that is not displaying the points?  I've never been able to fix this issue and always just unload and load waypoints and vectors for each trip instead of being able to turn on/off maps.  I've never had an issue displaying waypoints?

Boyd

I have a Montana 600 and had an Oregon 400t before that. I make a lot of maps and have never seen this problem. Pretty sure you are doing something wrong with the map, what MP_TYPE points are you using?

Also go to the Map Setup menu and be sure that detail is set to most. You should also check the settings for Map Points and Zoom Levels. These all affect the display of points on the GPS. These are what the menus looked like on my old Oregon, yours should be similar.

dunkard_trapper

Its not just the maps I make its happened with other maps that I've downloaded from this site also.  I'll look into it a lil more this evening when I get home from work
Thanks again

dunkard_trapper

I've tried a few different MP_TYPE's with the same results.  The POI is there its just not visible?
Most recently I used 0x640C

Boyd

Have you installed the maps in Mapsource/Basecamp? Do the point features show there? I think you are doing something wrong. Here's one of my maps on the Montana. I don't recall that it looked any different on the Oregon. The pick-axe symbol below the 300 ft scale is 0x640c, with my own custom symbol created with Photoshop and the TypViewer software. Also note the "Batsto" point which is 0x0c00 and the stream gauge symbol which is 0x6512. They are my own custom symbols too.

Also including a shot of my Globalmapper file. I render these as .tif files to create raster imagery for use in smartphone apps and Google Earth.

dunkard_trapper

I just brought the map into mapsource and sent it to my device that way. The points are there just still not visible?  Yes they show up in mapsource, everything looks fine on the computer.  I chose the pick axes as the symbol to use because I've used it in the past as a waypoint and that is the symbol that displays if I happen to grab a point on the GPS. It just disappears if I move off of it??