GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Cannot See Downloaded Maps in BaseCamp

Started by chouser10, April 22, 2016, 11:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chouser10

I have tried several times and still cannot see any downloaded maps in BaseCamp, even Mytrails. I have read the tutorials and followed the instructions perfectly. I am running Windows 7. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Basecamp several times. Not quite sure what is going on. Please help.

-Oz-

Which maps (other than My Trails)? Can you try installing Arizona Topo. It has a slightly different installer method.

If that doesn't work install one of the maps to C:\Garmin\ rather than C:\Program Files
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Try running MapConverter (it's free) and see if it finds your maps: http://www.javawa.nl/mapconverter_en.html

If so, convert them. This will put them in Garmin's new format and should avoid any of the registry problems that the old maps on this site seem to have.

jolly47roger

I've converted a map and it has made a .gmap folder inside a .gmapi folder.

I have copied these to the C:\Garmin\ folder on another windows PC but Basecamp doesn't see them. Where should they be placed so that Basecamp will find the map?

Boyd

Starting with Windows Vista, Garmin's standard install location is

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps

This is the correct location on my Windows 7 machine, have not used newer versions of Windows but am pretty sure it is the same. Copy the gmap folder here, quit Basecamp (if needed) and open it again. BTW, this will also work with later versions of Mapsource.

Another nice thing about .gmap is that it's universal. The same files will work on Macs and PC's. For years I have been suggesting that mapmakers offer their work in this format to make them more compatible/accessible - no need for separate Mac/Windows versions - but there hasn't been much interest. ;)

Let us know if this works, there have been many posts from Windows 10 users with similar problems.

jolly47roger

Brilliant, that works on Windows 10!

I will try it on Windows 7 machine tomorrow and then revise my installation instructions!

-Oz-

I really hate that I can't duplicate this. Even on a fresh install of Windows 10 I've gotten the registry way to work. My issue with the "universal method" is that it locks the data into C:\ which is stupid with SSDs.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I find it hard to believe that a lot of people have that issue with small SSD's. How many maps do you use and what size SSD? My PC still has a hard drive but my Mac has a 512GB SSD. A few GB of maps isn't a very big deal.

For the people with "undersized SSD syndrome"  ;D it is very simple to move the maps wherever you like with GMTK: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Surely if you run this program and use it to move a map, you will be able to figure out how it's done and include the capability in your installer. On the Mac (which is actually unix), this could easily be done with symbolic links. I think Windows has a similar feature, doesn't it?

popej

Quote from: -Oz- on April 30, 2016, 12:48:44 PM
I really hate that I can't duplicate this. Even on a fresh install of Windows 10 I've gotten the registry way to work.
My guess is, that problem is about virtualization of registry in Windows x64. There is several combination to test on Windows x64 - for example what will happen, if you execute an installer form 32-bit shell, like Free Commander.

Quote from: -Oz- on April 30, 2016, 12:48:44 PMMy issue with the "universal method" is that it locks the data into C:\ which is stupid with SSDs.
You can use links in Windows. For my maps I use a batch as installer, which execute following command to install a map on drive F:
mklink /J C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps\my_map.gmap F:\Maps\my_map.gmap

Actually on my PC C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps is already a link to other drive.