GPSFileDepot.com

Newbie - simple upload question, up to now unanswerable!

Started by jango, July 23, 2009, 12:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jango

hi, what a great site...

i have just bought a nuvi 500 and want to upload maps to it , though my mac is OSX version 10.3.9 which causes 2 problems:

1) nuvi not recognised by mac
2) mapsource cant run on mac

i though i might be able to simply download maps onto a microSD card to then plug into the nuvi but having done this the nuvi doesnt show the map, even when it is ticked and the garmin-installed europe maps are unticked on the nuvi.

any help appreciated please! eg is there an alternative to mapsource that i can use to manipulate maps on my mac then load onto the microSD so that they are available when the card is plugged into the nuvi?

sorry i know this is a nursery question and the real answer is to get a new mac, but i wont be doing that any time soon since its fine for everything else.

thanks in advance for anything you can advise...

jango

jango

thanks, you're right that's the best solution, i'll get onto it and keep in touch, once again great site...

(would you know the easiest way to get OSX 10.4?)

jango

jango

thx again, i'll get onto it.

btw - another quickie if i may? if i buy north american maps on a microSD card for an upcoming trip to canada can i just expect to plug and play on my nuvi?  reason i ask is that despite scouring tinternet it's still not obvious to me if i need any software or have to load these maps via my mac? based on your advice i will sort the mac out for all the other mapping i need to do but since i need this quickly i thought the best thing would just be to but the pre-loaded card from Ebay/amazon et al, though i would want to know it works!?

cheers

jango

thx for the further advice.

having spent a while tinkering i have now actually managed to download a local topo map and transfer it to a microSD card via the mac and made it available on the nuvi. it was all about specifically creating a folder and naming the file on the card as well as adjusting the map settings on the nuvi as you suggested.

so i'll continue playing around and may make even more progress, thx again