GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installing a copy of a map.?

Started by vt.flatlander, April 02, 2016, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt.flatlander

I have two GPSr units. A 60Cx and an Oregon 600. I created a map of my home state which looks fine on the 60Cx but I would like to make a copy of the map to make changes to be used on the Oregon 600. So I basically need two versions of the same map. One I'll keep for the 60Cx and one I will continue working on for the Oregon 600. How do I go about doing this?
I don't have MapsetToolkit figured out just yet.

Boyd

If you just want to change the way the map looks, that can probably be accomplished with separate typ files for each device - that's I what I do for the Nuvi and Montana. No need to have two mapsets for that, just create separate .typ files. As long as they have the same name, you can just swap the files in the mapset.

Another method would be to use the TYPchanger program I mentioned in your other thread.

If you really need to make changes to the map data, then the only way I know is to build a separate map based on copies of the original files. You can then edit those files as needed and build a new mapset like you did with the first one.

vt.flatlander

Boyd
Quote from: Boyd on April 02, 2016, 06:25:25 PM
If you just want to change the way the map looks, that can probably be accomplished with separate typ files for each device - that's I what I do for the Nuvi and Montana. No need to have two mapsets for that, just create separate .typ files. As long as they have the same name, you can just swap the files in the mapset.

Can you elaborate on this?
I did manage to make a single change by adding one. typ file to my map but I have not figured out how to structure additional .typ files that would apply to a specific GPSr.
How do I set up separate .typ files for the same map set and apply them to different devices ?
At the moment I would like to alter the color of Residential Road data as rendered on the Oregon 600. I find it hard to see as it is similar to the map base color and blends easily into contour lines at certain zoom levels.
This same map looks fine on the 60Cx because the Residential Roads are rendered in a completely different color. 

Boyd

Use one .typ file per mapset. Let's say the one you have already installed is named topo.typ. Make two copies of this file and name one of them oregon.typ and the other one 60csx.typ

Now modify oregon.typ with whatever colors, line widths, patterns, text styles, etc that you prefer for that gps. Then modify 60csx.typ to whatever styles you prefer for that gps. After you have each the way you like, duplicate oregon.typ and change the name of the file to topo.typ, then drop it into the mapset to replace the original topo.typ. You can then send the map to your Oregon and you will be all set.

Now duplicate 60csx.typ and change the name to topo.typ. Swap this file with the one in the mapset. Send the map to your 60csx and you're all set.

Just keep copies of oregon.typ and 60csx.typ separately for future use, and you can continue to modify them as desired to tweak the appearance on each gps.

vt.flatlander

Excellent Boyd
For whatever reason I was thinking that I had to create an additional .typ file for each change that I wanted to make.
I assume MapsetToolkit does not allow two.typ files with different names to be associated with one map set?

Boyd

Not sure if you are quite getting the concept of a .typ file. The name of the file is irrelevant. A single file can contain your custom style  for every object on the map. I'm very particular about the appearance of my maps and always use a typ file. Every object on my map is defined in that file, the gps does not use the default appearance for anything. And I have one version for the Nuvi and another for the Montana.

I have mentioned it twice already, but have a look at TYPchanger because it might make all of this easier for you. http://www.javawa.nl/typchanger_en.html

It will let you choose which .typ file to use in the mapset in a user friendly way.

vt.flatlander

I now understand that a single .typ file is used to make ALL the changes one would want to make to a map set.
I have already made some new changes that look good on my Oregon 600.  ;D
I knew absolutely nothing about GIS when I downloaded QGIS in the middle of January.
It has taken me up until now (with a lot of help from my wife and those on this site) to get a map onto my GPSr.
I will have a look at the JaVaWa site and consider downloading some of the tools that are offered there.
Thank you for your help Boyd.

vt.flatlander

I made a copy of my .typ file and renamed it something more appropriate. Opened MapSetToolKit ,highlighted the mapset,clicked Edit, clicked (...) next to the TYP box,pointed to the new file, clicked Apply.
Tried to open BaseCamp but received a dialog box telling me to reinstall my map.
Went back to MapSetToolkit and re installed the mapset.
Now BaseCamp opens and I can view my map.
When I now edit my .typ file I cannot see the changes to the map. Pressed Control-G twice to clear the cache but no changes.
I obviously did something incorrectly here but not sure what?

I just checked the Registry and the .typ file is still the old name. ?   How do I go about changing name of my .typ file ?

Boyd

As I posted above, when making this kind of change to the mapset I first remove it with MapSetToolkit, then re-install from scratch (pressing the start button). That way I know exactly what I'm getting.

But it makes things easier if you don't change the name of the .typ file, which is what I explained earlier. Keep separate copies of your .typ files for each device. Then rename them and drop them into the map folder to replace the original. No need to use MapsetToolkit for this.

OTOH, you could avoid all these issues and use the TYPchanger program, which I have suggested 3 times already. ;)

vt.flatlander

Boyd
I'm using my work computer to complete my map project. It does not belong to me so I have been trying to limit what I install on it for personal use.
The Typechanger program looks very appealing but for the moment I wanted to figure out how to change the .typ file with the tools I have on hand.
I have moved past setting up two separate .typ files for each GPSr and am now concentrating on tweaking my map for the Oregon 600. Because of my lack of knowledge I named the first .typ file in a way that I did not like .
I did as you have suggested and uninstalled the map then re-installed it fresh with a newly named .typ file. 
All is good now.
Thank you.
I now need to purchase myself a Windows laptop for the sole purpose of completing my map projects(or the whole project for that matter).

popej

If you want to change TYP for a map on PC (Windows or Mac), simply replace file in map folder, preserving the same file name.

I guess this could be quite unconvincing for a Mac user, but IMHO most Garmin programs and 3-rd party tools should run under wine, which is free and can be installed on Mac:
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

As for TYPchanger for Mac, ask Javawa to update his program with current release of GMapTool.

vt.flatlander

Quote from: popej on April 05, 2016, 12:27:28 PM

As for TYPchanger for Mac, ask Javawa to update his program with current release of GMapTool.

I did inquire but I was told that TYPchanger uses an external program that is
Windows-only.

Boyd

Popej is the author of that "external program" (gmaptool).  :) I think he was just pointing out that the version JaVaWa is using is out of date. It is a Windows program.

I have been using Macs since 1985 for everything. When I got interested in cartography about 10 years ago, I got a windows machine, and that is all I use windows for. If you want to make Garmin format maps, you really need Windows (or a virtual machine on your Mac). I tried that and didn't like it, I prefer having a dedicated Windows machine.

I guess if you wanted to just use the OSM tools, you might be able to do everything on a Mac since AFAIK they are Java based. Not very familiar with that however.

vt.flatlander

I'm with you on this Boyd.
I need to buy myself a Windows machine. They are not that expensive so I'll do my homework and get one set up for this purpose.
I got my feet wet using QGIS on my personal iMac at home but knew from the onset that I would have difficulty completing the task without a Windows unit. Fortunately I had access to my work computer but I should be using my own machine.