News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

BaseCamp map vs GPSr map

Started by vt.flatlander, March 30, 2016, 11:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt.flatlander

popej,
I obviously need to step back for a moment and read whatever info is available for each each program that I download. Map making has plunged me into computer use far deeper than any other reason for owning one.   
Thank you for taking the time to point out what I need here but I will also study the MapSetToolkit page.

Boyd

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I have never fully understood MapsetToolkit. When I am changing a map, the first thing I do is remove it with MapsetToolkit. Then I add any new .img files, .typ files, etc and I just hit the Start button to re-install it. I just leave the program open while working on a map, so all the other stuff is already filled in.

Guess I should try Popej's technique, it sounds like the "right" way to do this. But with my method, I know exactly what I have created since it is completely re-built.

popej

The window "Mapset installed" of MapsetToolkit operates on Windows registry only - the part of registry that is read by BaseCamp and Mapsource to find an installed map. Here you can install a map, remove a map or edit paths to parts of a mapset, like for example TYP file.

The rest of MapsetToolkit is a helper to create mapset - compile preview, create TDB and index. It is a GUI overlay for program cpreview.exe, which is a part of cGPSmapper. There is option "Install in Mapsource", which adds registry keys after compilation, but if you recompile your map, then most probably registry doesn't have to be changed.

I don't use MapsetToolkit for compilation, I prefer to run cpreview.exe from my scripts. For me the "Mapset installed" part of MapsetToolkit is most usable.

vt.flatlander

Ok so I figured out how to change the width of my stream/creek types. Looks correct now.
Next I would like to change the color to match what is being used for water-bodies.
How or where do I look to confirm what was assigned to the water-bodies so I can match the color info for the flow-lines?

Boyd

You could take a screenshot, open it in graphics program like Photoshop and find the color. You can enter the hex code directly in the box in TypViewer,

popej

Quote from: vt.flatlander on April 01, 2016, 09:06:36 AMHow or where do I look to confirm what was assigned to the water-bodies so I can match the color info for the flow-lines?
I doubt there is single color assigned to water, it probably depends on GPS model. Better assign water colors yourself in TYP file.

Note, that 60CSx has limited set of colors and they look different in GPS than on PC. TYPViewer shows this set, when you click on field with color code.

vt.flatlander

Popej
I have quickly learned that what I see in BaseCamp is not what I might see on the Oregon 600 and may also yet again be something different on the 60Cx.

I'm happy with my map as far as the 60Cx is concerned. It is now a backup GPSr for me. However I will continue to update a version of this map special for the Oregon 600.