GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

copying maps

Started by mtmander, February 11, 2016, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtmander

When I copied 2 state maps , using Garmin Mapinstall, to my SD card it put them in the same file (eg when I when to my 650t garmin and went to map select both states were in the same map to select.  They were both there separated by a comma.  I thought they would be in separate maps / files.

Is this the way it works ?  if I download 6 states they will all be in the same map/file ?

I called Garmin and since the maps I am using did not come from Garmin they could not provide any reasons why they showed up in the same map/file.

thanks for any help,

joe 

Boyd

What is a "6050t"? Oregon? Montana? Probably doesn't matter though... I have seen the same problem on my Montana 600 and Oregon 400t. That is the "classic" way to send multiple maps to a Garmin GPS but it dates back to the time when these devices only recognized one map filename (gmapsupp.img).

Starting with the Colorado series (8 years ago???) you can use any name you want for a map, as long as it has the .img extension. This method works properly on the newer devices. I don't think Garmin cared about compatibility with the old method of multiple maps in the same file (if they did, we wouldn't see this bug). ;)

MapInstall should understand that the Montana/Oregon can use multiple map files and then create them. But if installing to a card, it doesn't know what gps you may use it in, so it reverts to the old gmapsupp.img format.

I *think* you could fix this by finding the file on the GPS named garmindevice.xml and copying it to the same location on your card. Offhand, I don't remember whether it's in the Garmin folder or at the root level, sorry.

That file describes the capabilities of your device. If you put it on the card, MapInstall will think it's actually talking to the GPS itself. The alternative (which also works with Mapsource) is to send just one map at a time. After sending, change the name of gmapsupp.img to newyorktopo.img (or whatever). Repeat for all the maps you want to send.

mtmander

Boyd , Thank You

I really appreciate your input on how to fix my problem.   I have a Montana 650t and I used the 2nd method you suggested   'send just one map at a time. After sending, change the name of gmapsupp.img to newyorktopo.img (or whatever). Repeat for all the maps you want to send. '

This worked when I had the chip in the Garmin.   Again thanks

joe

Boyd