GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Topo map detail in Garmin Basecamp

Started by M650, March 02, 2016, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M650

First off, I am new to this experience.  Laptop: Windows7 w/64bits.  I have loaded the latest Garmin Basecamp.  I am holding off in downloading this to my GPS.

I have loaded these three items twice; loading order is (first) My Trails followed by New Hampshire Topo (Editors Choice) and lastly Massachusetts Topo.  Both topo's have very "limited" detail.  For instance, the NH Topo in Basecamp does not have the detail as the "snap shot" described in "Map Information".

Basically, what I see are the contour lines, roads & water (blue)
Why don't I see (in Basecamp) colors to differentiate woodland, conservation land, etc., like I would on a hard/paper map?

Thx.

Boyd

Very possibly, that detail just isn't in the map. If you are seeing contours, roads and water then it sounds like the map is working properly. Forest cover (the green shading you find on paper USGS maps) is not included by most map authors here. I have used it on my own maps, but am probably the exception. And data for things like parks can be hard to come by sometimes.

I assume you are talkig about this map: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/157/

Have to looked at the same areas shown in the screenshots there and compared them to what you see in Basecamp?

M650

Hi Boyd,
Thx for answering. Yes, that is one of the maps.

On Basecamp I do not get the "contrast" (no white or turquoise/lite shade of blue)  as the snap shot on the left.

In your Basecamp, do you see what is in the snap shot on the left?

Boyd

Sorry I don't have time to download and troubleshoot, my windows machine is not available since I stole the screen and keyboard to use with an old Mac on a project. :)

In the Mac version of Basecamp there are options to disable the display of some features, can't recall whether the Windows version is the same (there are user interface differences). This is the preference on the Mac (see attached).

Aside from that, there are significant differences in the appearance of a map on the PC vs the device itself. That has always been the case with Garmin. Also, if the DEM basemap or topo map is enabled on the GPS at the same time, that will add shaded terrain to a GPSFileDepot map. Basecamp will not display multiple maps in this way.

maps4gps

As the mapset's information page says:

'Screenshots
Below are examples of this map on a Garmin Oregon300:'

Desmo490

If, in basecamp, you click on view, toolbars, and put a checkmark next to Detail Level, it will add a deatail button in the upper left right below file and edit.

Once that button is there, you can take it to the highest level, and you'll see more of the different colors you are asking about.

But, as another poster pointed out....the pics in the map description were taken from the Oreon 300.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for...