GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

map_install_x64-x86.nsi

Started by Robert1900, February 12, 2016, 03:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert1900

Map install script runs OK on Windows XP and Windows 7.  When running on Windows 10 mapsource and Baseecamp canot see the resulting map.  Mapsettoolkit show the Garmin Topo but no new map.  Looks like a registry problem.  Is Windows 10 registry different?

-Oz-

Is the windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit? That'll change the answer to this question.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Robert1900

My windows 7 is 64 bit.  Windows 7 works OK.  Windows 10 mapsource and basecamp do not see the new map.

-Oz-

The script appears to work on my windows 7 machine. On your windows 10 machine can you open regedit (start>run regedit). Then drill down to: HOSTKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\

Does that director (key) exist?

If so, see if the PCT folder exists. If so open it up and make sure everything looks correct (where the map points to, etc).

That should help narrow it since I can't replicate.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Firemann59

I had the same problem then discovered the newly installed map must be installed in c:\garmin folder in order for basecamp to see the install map.

2Wolfes

Sigh, absolutely CANNOT get Basecamp to recognize any  maps - either dowloaded/installed to new PC running Win10 or the maps previously installed on Oregon 650 using an earlier PC (Win 8.1).

-Oz-

Can you try the Arizona topo. I tried a different version with that installer. And try firemann59's idea above. Thus far I cannot recreate the problem you all are experiencing.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

2Wolfes

After much head scratching, weeping and gnashing of teeth, I started playing around with the install instructions (I'm not near techy/nerdy enough to be comfortable with this).  I noticed that the topo maps I was working with wanted to install to c:\programfiles(x86)\topomapname.  Since the Garmin GPSs require the compiled map to be in the *:\Garmin subdirectory to be recognized I just changed the location in the setup screen to c:\Garmin.  That maps went there (were compiled there?) and Basecamp found them right away. Don't know if it's a Win10 thing or a BaseCamp thing but it works now.

So, in a nut shell - Win10 system, BaseCamp 4.6.2 --

Make sure the maps install to to C:\Garmin.  You'll be asked where you want them to go during the installation process.

Oh, and now I see that Firemann59 posted the same solution. 

I have spent WAY too much time on the forums these last two days.  There's some great information here.  And I can actually understand some of it.

Thanks to all who ask and those who share their knowledge.

Boyd

I wonder if it's a problem with permissions? Have you tried installing the maps as an administrator? Sorry, I am still on Windows 7 and can't check this out.

2Wolfes

" Have you tried installing the maps as an administrator?"

I have a window pop up and I have to install as an administrator.  My conjecture would be that the Win10/BasaCamp 4.6.2 combination requires it all to be in the C:\Garmin subdirectory vice the earlier default of C:\PregramFiles(x86) subdirectory.  Unfortunately, this is one of those "I don't know why it works but it does" items.
??? ???

Boyd

On Windows 7, the "right" place to install maps is

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps

This is where Garmin installs their own maps. A properly written installer can easily determine this - we have a long thread on the topic here somewhere. I would be surprised if they changed this on Win 10, but anything is possible. I can understand why Windows might not want you to install anything directly into the program files directory however, that might be a security risk with unknown software.

2Wolfes

"Can you try the Arizona topo. I tried a different version with that installer. And try firemann59's idea above. Thus far I cannot recreate the problem you all are experiencing."

Just d/l'd and installed the Arizona topo.  Again, during installation changed the default destination of C:\Program Files (x86)\Arizona Topo to C:\Garmin\Arizona Topo.  Worked like a champ.

Now that it's on my GPSr, I reckon I'll need to take a trip out that way . . .  8) 8)

-Oz-

Boyd. I'd there a way around that? I like to keep my data of the ssd which requiring it go in program data won't work.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Yes it can certainly be done. One user-friendly way would just be to install in the standard location and then use GMTK to move it wherever you like: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

QuoteMove
This option enables you to move maps to another folder or drive on your computer, in a way that MapSource and/or BaseCamp are able to use them.

Really, I am not a "Windows Guy", but can usually figure things out if I dig into them. At the moment, I just don't have time for that. Have been working on a big project using my Mac, and keeping my Windows machine shut off because it's just too much of a distraction. :)

If you try moving the maps with GMTK and then take a look at what it did, I think you can figure out what is happening.

-Oz-

Alright so I wiped a computer and spent some time experimenting. It turns out Windows 10 changed how the NSIS installer works to it "doubled" the registry and loaded it into the wrong spot. This meant that it wouldn't work. The weird catch was if you had previously installed one prior to the upgrade for some reason it installed correctly. Additionally, it doesn't appear to matter what directory it is installed in so for now i left Program Files (x86); if anyone has an issue let me know.

Either way I fixed the map install nsi file. Updated version here. Rather than trying to experiment and find the right place in the registry it is now coded in correctly.

Thus far I've updated the Arizona Topo install but I'll begin chugging through all my maps in the coming days to get the right version.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!