GPSFileDepot.com

Loading Waypoints from Etrex Venture HC to 60CSx?

Started by dmoto, February 03, 2016, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmoto

Hi All,

I've had great success with using the AZ Topo for years on my old Etrex Venture HC. The forums have given great advice.....however, this time around, I'm stuck. I purchased a 60CSx and was wanting to transfer my waypoints from my Etrex to the 60CSx. Well, when using the Venture, I used Mapsource because I didn't have external memory.

Now, I am using Basecamp...so far, so good. I am using the AZ Topo on Basecamp now, uploaded all of my waypoints onto Basecamp. Then sent the AZ Topo map onto the new 60CSx and thought I had included the waypoints (that show up in Basecamp) onto the 60CSx.....however, no waypoints show up on the 60CSx. Only the maps show up. Great maps, nice contours, but no waypoints...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've inserted a screen shot to give an idea what I'm looking at in Basecamp. I've been dragging (circled in red) to the file (circled in blue). Then right clicking on (circled in blue)...."Install Maps on ...." Then everything installs. But no waypoints.

Thanks again,
Dane

popej

Check settings in 60CSx: Menu -> Settings -> Map -> Max Zoom for POI and Waypoints.

dmoto

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, I went into the Map Setup in the Points Page....Menu>Setup>Map the scrolled over to the "Flag" icon and have it setup exactly the same as in the picture I've attached (circled in red). Still no waypoints show up.

Any other settings or ideas that I'm missing? I've scoured the owner's manual and still can't get the waypoints to show up. Maybe I'm loading the maps wrong? I'm new to Basecamp, but I've used Mapsource quite a bit. I've also tried to load them in Mapsource, still having the same issues.

Thanks in advance,
Dane

popej

Setting zoom to "Auto" usually means, that points are visible only when you zoom in. (Is it low or high zoom? I never know.) Try to set some higher vales for "Max Zoom", like the scale of map, that you are using at your GPS.

dmoto

Quote from: popej on February 04, 2016, 07:55:39 AM
Setting zoom to "Auto" usually means, that points are visible only when you zoom in. (Is it low or high zoom? I never know.) Try to set some higher vales for "Max Zoom", like the scale of map, that you are using at your GPS.

Well, when I'm looking at the dropdowns, they are defaulted at "Auto". Just above those dropdowns, it states "Max Zoom". Then the dropdowns have selections starting at "Auto", then selections of 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, etc...all the way down to 500 miles. I went ahead and selected Map Points and User Waypoints to 20ft and still can't see my waypoints. The only waypoints that are listed in Find>Waypoints is "Garmin", "Garmin Europe" and "Garmin Taiwan"

Boyd

I rarely use my 60csx these days, but recently I was playing with it in an effort to help someone with a 76csx. Basecamp wasn't working properly with the 60csx for some reason. I don't know if I have ever used it with the 60csx actually, but I couldn't even get Basecamp to recognize the 60csx. I am running Windows 7 and it reported the driver software successfully installed.

Without changing anything, I quit Basecamp and tried Mapsource. It had not problem sending receiving data from the 60csx. I repeated the same thing a couple times with the same results and finally gave up. I don't need to use the 60csx anymore so it wasn't worth troubleshooting.

Anyway, you might have better luck with Mapsource. IMO, there isn't any compelling reason to use Basecamp if you have an old device like the 60csx. It was designed for Mapsource.

I don't understand your reason for switching to Basecamp. What do you mean by "when using the Venture, I used Mapsource because I didn't have external memory"? Are you talking about the microSD card for maps on the 60csx? Mapsource is completely compatible with that. You can just connect it to your computer with the card installed and Mapsource will send maps directly to the card.

But the old USB1.0 interface is really slow for transferring large maps. If you have a card slot in your computer or an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 card reader, that with be much faster. Mapsource can send maps directly to a card, it does not need to be in the GPS itself.

dmoto

Quote from: Boyd on February 04, 2016, 08:58:28 AM
I rarely use my 60csx these days, but recently I was playing with it in an effort to help someone with a 76csx. Basecamp wasn't working properly with the 60csx for some reason. I don't know if I have ever used it with the 60csx actually, but I couldn't even get Basecamp to recognize the 60csx. I am running Windows 7 and it reported the driver software successfully installed.

Without changing anything, I quit Basecamp and tried Mapsource. It had not problem sending receiving data from the 60csx. I repeated the same thing a couple times with the same results and finally gave up. I don't need to use the 60csx anymore so it wasn't worth troubleshooting.

Anyway, you might have better luck with Mapsource. IMO, there isn't any compelling reason to use Basecamp if you have an old device like the 60csx. It was designed for Mapsource.

I don't understand your reason for switching to Basecamp. What do you mean by "when using the Venture, I used Mapsource because I didn't have external memory"? Are you talking about the microSD card for maps on the 60csx? Mapsource is completely compatible with that. You can just connect it to your computer with the card installed and Mapsource will send maps directly to the card.

But the old USB1.0 interface is really slow for transferring large maps. If you have a card slot in your computer or an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 card reader, that with be much faster. Mapsource can send maps directly to a card, it does not need to be in the GPS itself.

Hi Boyd,

Yes, what I meant by that is I was using Mapsource with my Venture because it did not have external memory and from what I can remember, Basecamp transfers were too large for the memory capacity of the Venture. Now that I have the 60CSx, I can remove the micro SD and put it in a card reader. I figured by using Basecamp, there might be more features that I'm missing out on. I guess not. I'll continue to troubleshoot and load the maps via Mapsource. As you mentioned...yes, it's MUCH faster loading maps directly onto the SD card via reader than it is plugging in the GPS.

If it helps any, the OS I'm using is Win10. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I'll report back later today with my results with Mapsource. I'm just confused on why I can load the AZ Topo map, but my previously recorded waypoints are not showing up on my 60CSx after the transfer....

Indrid Cold

The 60csx doesn't read waypoints off a memory card, just your maps (and POIs) Use mapsource to send waypoints to the gps internal memory. :-\

Boyd

Quote from: dmoto link=topic=4106.msg22925#msg22925 date=1454605635I'm just confused on why I can load the AZ Topo map, but my previously recorded waypoints are not showing up on my 60CSx after the transfer....

Apples and oranges... The memory card in the 60sx is treated like a USB disk by Basecamp and the map is simply copied there. Exchanging waypoints requires Basecamp to have a "conversation" with the 60csx using Garmin's special protocol. As I said, I couldn't get Basecamp to "talk" to my 60csx.

Just use Mapsource. You need Basecamp with newer GPS units because Mapsource isn't compatible with the way they store waypoints. But your 60csx was designed and built to be used with Mapsource.

dmoto

Ok, thank you for the response. I'll reload with Mapsource and report back. Great info here, thanks again!

popej

BaseCamp works correctly for me. It communicates with 60CSx in Garmin mode, reads and sends waypoints. Maybe problem with Garmin USB drivers?

But actually BaseCamp screen shot on first post looks like mass storage mode. This mode doesn't allow for transfer of waypoints. See 60CSx in Garmin mode below.