GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Do these files work?

Started by Estemy, February 06, 2016, 05:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estemy

Hello I am completely new to GPS tracking aside from using it in my car and using Google maps on my phone. However, I plan to go on a hiking trip to Norway this summer and I got a possibility to borrow the Garmin (i think etrax20) from my father-in-law. I just happened to found a guidebook in the local bookstore with lots of interesting trails I could follow. The book, with 50 trails, came with downloadable GPX files (50 in total, they can be downloaded for free, but the website is dutch). Now, before borrowing the GPS device I wanted to make sure these files work. I found a nice guide on how to open these files on Google Earth, however I get an error (which pops away so fast i cannot read what it says) and none of the files open. Could anyone please be so kind as to check these and see if any of them work? (try any of the 50) Either with your GPS device or in your computer. Thank you in advance!

(the 1st attachment is the zip file with all 50. The next 3 attachments are 3 random GPX files from the sample)

Boyd

Sorry, I don't have time to check the files, but you can do it yourself pretty easily. Download Garmin's free Basecamp program here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

There's a Mac version here if you need it:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

The software includes a very basic map of the world. If the files are Garmin compatible, then Basecamp should be able to open and display them on the map. You should be aware that Garmin handheld devices like the eTrex 20 do not include any useful maps, they will only have something similar to the crude world map from Basecamp. So unless your father in law already has a detailed map of Norway, you may need to get one.

babj615

The GPX files I just tested are encrypted or corrupted. They will not work as they are.

They all seem to contain

"Mac OSX"

and

"com.apple.quarantine"

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador