GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to use Nuvi 2597LMT and txtopo11

Started by jherber, January 25, 2016, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jherber

Howdy, I am new here. I enjoy geocaching. I have downloaded and installed the txtopo11 map on my Nuvi2597. My basic question is how to use this topo map with the City Navigator map provided by Garmin. Can they be used at the same time? I have only been able to get the topo map to show if I disable the City Navigator map. When doing this I lose the turn by turn driving instructions. I am just learning about these topo maps and do not know if I am missing something about the order they are loaded or something else. Can you explain how others are using these maps together or separately? Thanks,  Joe

Boyd

Maps have a "draw order" ranging from 0 to 31. A map with a higher number will cover up a map with a lower number. City Navigator has a draw order of 30, so a topo would need a number of 31 to work simultaneously with City Navigator.

I create my topo maps like this but am not aware of anyone else who does. There are utility programs that allow you to change the draw order of a map, but it has always been the policy of gpsfiledepot not to discuss methods of modifying maps created by another author, so I will not provide any specifics.

Garmin's own 24k topo maps contain routing information just like City Navigator, so they can be used by themselves without City Navigator.

jherber

Boyd, thank you for the helpful reply. So if I understand this correctly, the txtopo11 map is an overlay type map, but only overlays maps that are drawn before it. I was trying to add it to the Nuvi 2597 because occasionally the Nuvi navigates to the destination point from the nearest spot from a road and that is not always the easiest or best way to the destination geocache.

So the draw order is a number sequence and not the order in which the maps may show on a list.

I have installed the txtopo11 on my Garmin Oregon 450 and it appears even though I have the Garmin Basemap enabled so does the same thing apply there? Is the Basemap using a lower draw order number than the City Navigator on the Nuvi?

Thanks for your patience with a novice.

Boyd

Regarding "overlay", that term is normally reserved for maps like "MyTrails" that have no background and are used to add features to another map. These are just regular garmin maps like any others, but they have a draw priority of 31 and they don't have a background object.

If you change the draw order of any topo to 31, it will hide City Navigator.The routing information from City Navigator will still be used, so you'll see the topo but it will behave like City Navigator. This might be odd in some cases, since the roads on the topo may not match City Navigator.

But you may be making some wrong assumptions here when you say " I was trying to add it to the Nuvi 2597 because occasionally the Nuvi navigates to the destination point from the nearest spot from a road".

Changing the draw order will just display the topo, it won't change the behavior because the roads on the topo are not routable. So the Nuvi will direct you exactly the same as before, but you will see different roads on the screen.

Draw order has nothing to do with the order in which maps are listed. It specifies in what order they are "stacked".

Garmin basemaps have the lowest draw priority and are always covered by other maps. If you zoom out far enough however, the other maps will be disabled and only the basemap will show on the Nuvi. The Nuvi also has a basemap (gmapbmap.img) however there are no menu options to disable it.

jherber

Wow! You have cleared up so much confusion I have had regarding the maps on this site and others. I have been reading for days and making some bad assumptions along the way. If there is a dictionary of terms somewhere here, I really could have used it. Thanks Boyd.

Norden

Thanks for explaining Boyd, that makes a lot of sense now.