GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Switching maps when zooming on a Garmin GPSMAP 64s

Started by Tatone, December 27, 2015, 07:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatone

I'm new here so I apologise if this has been asked before, but I might not be using quite the right search terms.

I am using two different maps on my Garmin GPSMAP 64s, the Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50k map and the Talktoaster (OSM data based) map. As I am sure everyone knows, the Discoverer map looks rubbish when zoomed in beyond about 200m. I noticed that when I zoom all the way in to 5m, the Discoverer map disappears and the Talkytoaster map is visible. What I want to do is change this so that the Talktoaster map layer takes over at any zoom closer than 200m.

I can't see a way to do this within the unit itself so presume I need to edit the map. Using GMaptool I see levels and zooms listed in the Discoverer map and I presume these are somehow important. My initial research suggests that I need to see if I can change the draw priority at a specific zoom level, is this possible? As I understand it, the maps are displayed as layers on the device, and the draw priority controls which is actually displayed. My thinking at the moment is that I somehow need to make the maps either only display at certain zoom levels or change the draw priority at specific zoom levels. This however is as far as I have got and, rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought best to come here and see if anyone else has solved the problem.

Boyd

I'm in the US and have never used the GB discoverer map. But as I understand, it contains raster imagery (scanned paper maps).

AFAIK, there is no way to accomplish what you want, aside from disabling the discoverer map. You are correct that maps have a draw order which behaves somewhat like layers. Maps that have higher draw orders are drawn after maps with lower draw orders, so they cover them up. Setting a draw order of 31 will cause a map to be drawn last.

But I think raster imagery is treated differently. I think any vector based map (like talkytoaster) is always drawn on top of a raster map. Not completely sure about this though.

Aside from that, since this is a site for mapmakers, it has always been the policy of this forum not to discuss ways to modify maps that you did not create yourself.  :)

Perhaps you would have better luck addressing your questions to the author of the talkytoaster maps?

Tatone

Thanks for that, I'll email Martin (the guy at Talktoaster) and ask there. I had thought after writing this that it might be easier to accomplish what I want that way, by editing the draw order and zoom setting of his map (or rather, doing so with his help and permission). As a last straw if it still doesn't work, I could create my own but this is somewhat time intensive and I have a PhD thesis that demands I stop procrastinating...