GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Locked Files (Maps)

Started by rah, December 23, 2015, 10:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rah

I haven't been able to upload maps from my (new) computer, with Windows 10, onto my (Etrex 30) GPS.  I get the dreaded message "no unlocked files were found for this device" when I plug my GPS into the computer.   If it matters; I'm not sure it does, I had no problem with my old computer (Windows 8) in transferring files onto my GPS.  Any guidance/ suggestions you may have to address this problem will be appreciated.  Thanks much!

Boyd

How did you install the maps on the new computer? If you just used a backup of the old computer, that doesn't work with Garmin's registry based maps. Special keys must be created in the Windows registry for them to work properly.

IMO, the easiest way to deal with this would be to use GMTK (a cool free program) to backup the maps on your old computer to a flash drive (or network drive, etc), then use GMTK to install the maps on the new computer. That will automatically create the needed registry entries for the maps on the new computer.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

rah

I saved my maps on an external drive, and accessed them from there. Obviously, that didn't work.  I will give GMTK a whirl and see if that works.

Thanks much for the advice.  I appreciate it!

Boyd

That sounds like your problem. You can't just copy the files with old format maps. Garmin has a new map format, gmap, that does allow simple copying of files. Third party mapmakers have been very reluctant to embrace it however. I use it for the maps I've posted here and have tried to encourage others to switch, but not very many people have. ;)

Glad I could help.

rah

I am still getting the message of "no unlocked files" when trying to load a topo onto my Garmin.    I deleted all the previous topo/trail downloads (obtained via another computer, so of no use with my new computer),  then downloaded a new topo, which I attempted to load onto my GPS, to no avail; I got the message of no unlocked files.  I am stumped!  Any suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks.

rah

I got my maps transferred to my GPS, using Basecamp.   So, I am a happy camper now.

Boyd

Cool.  8) If you explain what the problem was and how you fixed it, that might help someone else in the future.

rah

I wish I could.  To my knowledge, I didn't do anything differently.  Basecamp opened up fully, I followed the procedure and loaded three maps (+My Trails) handily.  However, I am trying to load more three more maps now, without success.  I get the message "All maps available are already installed" or similar wording.  Yes, I did run the installer.  I am a little stumped; I had virtually no problems with my older Etrec 30, and using an earlier version of Basecamp.

z_statman

rah, make sure you change the map names else will overwrite

Boyd

Mapsource will do that, but I thought MapInstall was supposed to handle it by creating unique names on newer devices or bundling the maps together on older devices.