News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

loading Maps on NUVI

Started by BKSLDR7, July 07, 2009, 09:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKSLDR7

My understanding is that all maps have to be loaded at once to get multiple
maps on the GPSr or external card.  Does loading topo maps overwrite the installed road maps
that come with the unit or just any additional non-Garmin maps that might be
on the unit as .img files?

Boyd

No, you won't destroy the pre-loaded maps unless you start monkeying around with the files in the Garmin folder. The pre-loaded maps are called "gmapprom.img" but Mapsource will only create files named "gmapsupp.img".

Garmin is finally changing their goofy map naming system as well. The latest software update for the Oregon lets you name map files anything you want as long as they have the .img extension. My understanding is that the new Nuvi 1200/1300/1400 series are also like this. No idea if they will update existing Nuvi models with this new feature though.

maps4gps

Quote from: Boyd on July 07, 2009, 12:05:23 PM
The latest software update for the Oregon lets you name map files anything you want as long as they have the .img extension.

Does this mean:
  1)The unit will see and use State1.img, State2.img, State3.img files (where now all would have to be in one gmapsupp.img file)?
  2)State4.img, State5.img etc could be included later by simply adding the two files to the memory card?
  3)State2.img could be removed via mass-transfer mode without having to reload any of the other files?

-Oz-

Wow, thatwould be awesome if it works like that maps4gps; i would probably wait for the Dakota and get that to replace my 60csx.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

BKSLDR7

The only way that I have gotten a map file from GPSfiledepot to
display on a NUVI 855 is to disable the NT Streetmap file.
If both are active the NT STreetmap blocks out the topo file, in
this case, Yosemite.  Perhaps other maps are overlays that are
transparent but for the Yosemite map at least, one must disable the
NT map.

Boyd

Oz and Maps4gps: Yes, this is the way the new Oregon software works. However, from what I've read, when you look at the list of maps on the Oregon itself it will only display the mapset names and not the name you gave the file. This is pretty much the same as the classic Garmin system where the filenames are not shown. But the ability to just drag and drop map files is terrific. There were some reports of problems when this update came out, so I did not install. But now there's a new version which fixes the bugs, so I will probably put it only my Oregon soon.

I read that the newest series of Nuvi's also support this, probably because of the new CityXplorer maps which Garmin sells via download. This makes it likely that people could install a lot of different small map files since they each only cover one city.

The Dakota looks pretty cool, but the screen has such low resolution.... 160x240. But if you don't mind that on the 60csx it's probably fine.

maps4gps

Quote from: BKSLDR7 on July 10, 2009, 08:06:01 AM
If both are active the NT STreetmap blocks out the topo file, in
this case, Yosemite. 

That is normal.  Maps are given a priority - Garmin has the highest.  An overlay/transparent mapset would allow both to display, however this is a pre-compile setting and has a downside in MapSource.