GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

"routable" hiking trails?

Started by RCinSTP, December 14, 2015, 11:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCinSTP

I understand "routing" on road maps.  Is it possible to add routing to a canoeing map where the "route" goes directly across a lake to a specific portage (hiking trail between two lakes) and continues on through several lakes and portages?

Seldom

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that as long as the end nodes lined up.  "Water or Rail Ferry" looks like it would be your line type.

RCinSTP

Is there any low cost mapping software that has the Routable feature which will work with img format?

Seldom

Just looked at this:
http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm
cgpsmapper doesn't look too promising.  When I bought it, it was the "PERSONAL" version and was reasonably priced. It's not there now.  Maybe popej can help if that's the way you want to go.

The other option is mkgmap.  It's the free IMG compiler for OSM data.   Not lockable though.

Boyd

RCinSTP

There is no OSM data for the area I am mapping Can mkgmap work with other data or only OSM data?
My map has hundreds of lakes and possible routes. It would be very difficult to manually create all the routes across lakes.  With Mapwel, can the routing feature consider specific polygon types which are lakes as places the route can go through?  For example, can I specify those types of polygons as "highways" or something that the routing feature will recognize?

Boyd

I purchased a Mapwel license long ago, but haven't used it for years and never created any routable maps. However, for what you describe, you could create a special line type (call it something like water route) and use these like routable roads? You could make them invisible with TypViewer if desired.

RCinSTP

If I understand correctly, I would still need to manually draw hundreds of these water route polylines.  I hope that it might be possible to designate the "lake" polygons as some type of road that the routing feature would recognize, but I imagine that routing only works with polylines and not with polygons, but I don't know for sure.

Boyd

How could you route on a polygon?  :-\

The NHD already includes lines that indicate the flow on corresponding polygons like rivers, I always just delete them on my maps. But if you want a specific route to be taken across a lake (or whatever), I don't see how that could be possible unless you create a line object.

RCinSTP

Thanks Boyd, I'm going to forget about the routing for now, too much work.

maps4gps

Curious as to where there are no OSM data (and hundreds of interconnected lakes)?

Yes, specialty interest do usually require more work to create a good map.

RCinSTP

The map is for a wilderness area in Ontario, Canada, just across the border from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota, USA.  There is OSM data for the area but the data is not consistent across the mapping area.

maps4gps

Have you tried the data from Natural resources Canada - Geogratis - National Hydro Network (NHN)?  Canada and the US (USGS - NHD) were aligning their hydro data along the border.  It was a multi-year effort and I do not know if it has been totally completed. 

RCinSTP

Thanks maps4gps, I got the NHN hydro data and the data could possibly work for lakes which have water flowing through them where the portages more or less follow the flow of the "watercourse", but many lakes do not have water flowing through them so those lakes don't have any watercourse polylines running through them.  Also, some lakes have water flowing through them and a corresponding polyline representing the water flow but there may be several portages going from that lake to other lakes in locations that don't correspond with the watercourse.

popej

mkgmap supports polish format with minor limitations but last time I have tried, it had problems with objects with multiple "data" statements. Maybe it is already corrected. I suggest to use mkgmap with OSM specific input file types. These can be created with the help of some converter tools, like for example ogr2osm.