GPSFileDepot.com

In QGIS software -- some labels only show when zoomed way in, others always show

Started by RCinSTP, December 30, 2015, 10:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCinSTP

I have a map with two vector layers.  The polygon layer represents lakes and the polylines layer represents hiking trails.  Both layers have labels applied in the layer properties.  The labels for the lakes show at all zoom levels but the labels for the hiking trails only show when the map is zoomed very far in.  Both layers label properties are the same.

Could this be based on the column width that I set for the label?  Any ideas on how I can get the hiking trail labels to show just the lakes labels show.

Boyd

Are you talking about garmin format maps on garmin devices or something else? What do you mean by layer properties and column width?

On Garmin, I think label visibility depends on the firmware of the GPS device. I am not aware of any way that a mapmaker can control label visibility. You can control the visibility of the whole object but not just the label.

RCinSTP

Sorry, I forgot to specify.  This is in regards to making a map with QGIS.  When I have QGIS software open and I'm viewing the map, the labels for the lakes appear at all zoom levels and the labels for the hiking trails only show when zoomed it.

RCinSTP

I figured it out.  The labels were not displaying because I was using "Curved" in the label Placement setting. I would still like to use the curved setting if anyone knows how to make the labels work correctly with that setting.  Until, then I will use the Parallel setting.