GPSFileDepot.com

GPSMapEdit maps blank in BaseCamp - solved - set Level 0 to 24 bits

Started by RCinSTP, December 06, 2015, 06:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCinSTP

I imported several shape files, polygons and polylines intp GPSMapEdit and assigned a map skin .typ file.  The map looks good in GPSMapEdit but when I export to Garmin .img format and use MapsetToolkit or JaVaWa GMTK to install the map into MapSource (or make the map available to BaseCamp), the map is blank.  In the lower-left corner, it reads, map created with http://cgpsmapper.com  but the rest of the map is blank.
In the map properties, I have levels 0 and 1.  I tried various TRE sizes and RGN limits but nothing has worked.  Any ideas for what I can check or change?

RCinSTP

Thank You!  I set Level 0 to 24 bits and that fixed the problem. 

Do you have any advice on setting the Levels in the map properties or a link to any info, documentation or tutorials about setting the levels?

Red90

Quote from: zhrd on December 06, 2015, 08:07:50 PM
Level0 has to be 24 bits.

That is not true.  I've done many maps with 23 bit base levels.  I suspect his problem is the preview map lowest level is below the detailed map.

RCinSTP

What is the "Preview Map"?   Can you give me some suggestions for what configuration to use for the levels in the map properties and the preview map.   What should I use for the Bits and the MapSource Zoom Range?

How do I set the levels for the Preview Map?

Red90

zhrd

I think the best information is in the manual for cgpsmapper http://www.cgpsmapper.com/manual.htm.
@Red90  You right, level0 has to be 24 bits only for routeble maps.

RCinSTP

Thank you Red90 and zhrd. I started reading the documentation and I have already learned a lot.  One thing I have not found in the documentation yet is about the various Polygon types, for example, when I import a shape file into MapEdit I have to choose a "type", then in TYPViewer, I can also select or edit the types, and Garmin seems to use or recognize only specific types.  Maybe I'm wrong about this, but, for example, TYPViewer gives me a choice of 18 different types to represent lakes, but it looks like Garmin only wants "3C" to represent lakes.  Again, maybe I'm wrong but I've been using trial and error (mostly error) to figure out why my maps look good in MapEdit and bad in BaseCamp and it seems like I need to use only Garmin types in the .typ file.

I will continue reading the documentation.

zhrd

You can find the documentation about types in chapter 12.3 of the manual. The reason of different view in Basecamp and Mapedit could be in the TYP file. Try to choose the same TYP in the Mapedit (View, Map skin) as you use for your map.

Boyd

It really depends on what you are trying to do. There are some differing "standard" types depending on what software you use, as you have noticed.

Personally, I completely ignore Garmin's system and re-assign types to suit my own purposes. I am making a very complex map now where everything is converted to polygons so I'm using every available type. They have no relation to Garmin's standard types, they are just pallette colors. I believe there are a total of 83 polygon types available and only two are actually reserved for a specific purpose - 0x4a (map coverage) and 0x4b (background).

You can use TypViewer to set the name of the object to anything you want, and that will be what's shown on the GPS and Basecamp instead of the "standard" type.

RCinSTP

Thanks Boyd, I was mistaken, I thought I had to use specific types because they were not showing in MapEdit but it turns out there were other factors like whether or not they were listed in the draw order in TYPViewer and which level the type was set to and if it was transparent, etc.