News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvicam LMTHD Maps

Started by SilverSpear, November 12, 2015, 11:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpear

Hello guys, I am new around here.

I was on vacation in Florida last month where I purchase the Nuvicam LMTHD and used it while there.

Returned home (overseas) but never thought for a second about my Garmin until I was there. Yes I need a different set of maps and I am new to Garmin.

Contacted Garmin US and told them about my issue, they mentioned I need to purchase different maps for my area, which I was ok with. The thing is those additional maps cannot be updated, so paying $100+ for something to be used for a while, wasn't really logical in my book. I offered even to send them the unit again while they "add" the map themselves and I pay for it, they refused.

This is really the worst support ever, I regret buying the unit. So any way I can add the map of my area and have it work without paying for it guys? I am ok with free with no update lol.

Thanks
Danny

Boyd

Acquiring City Navigator maps for free would be theft, and that is not something we can discuss here.

However it is possible to purchase updatable maps from Garmin. You must purchase the DVD version of City Navigator instead of the download or pre-loaded memory card. You can then purchase lifetime updates for the maps as a separate product.

SilverSpear

Hello Boyd,

I tried to find a way with Garmin, it didn't work.
They redirected me to their maps link and that's it. I specifically expressed to them that I have no problem purchasing a map which can be updated, but they said it is a one time deal.

Anything I missed?

Red90

Where are we talking about?  If you want help instead of just complaining, then providing some information would help....

SilverSpear

I am not complaining, lol, just asking for an alternative to purchasing a NON updatable map.

I am in the Middle East now.

Red90

Quote from: SilverSpear on November 13, 2015, 09:59:30 AM
I am not complaining....

Ummm, okay.  If that is not complaining, I don't understand what the word means.

Quote from: SilverSpear on November 12, 2015, 11:58:51 PM
This is really the worst support ever, I regret buying the unit.

SilverSpear

I really hope you don't comment anymore unless you have any positive input on that matter.
Thought you have a solution from the way you replied the first time, prove me wrong.

Red90

Now you complain about the people helping....

Good lord.  You might find that being nice when asking for help works the best in life....

I'm pretty sure you can buy the Middle East Maps ($120) and then later buy the lifetime updates ($150).  The current wording on Garmin's store is confusing, but that is the way it has been in the past.  Pricey to do though.

Another option is Openstreet maps.  http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/  They are free.  I have no idea of their quality in your area, but worth checking out before laying out big dollars on the Garmin (legal) option.

SilverSpear

Thanks for your input, but this type of file didn't work on the Nuvicam.
Only saw the names of the major cities on the map but no roads.

Red90

It works.  You are doing something wrong.

SilverSpear

Renaming the file to gmapsupp.img and putting it on the external SD Card.
Anything else?

Boyd

You need to create a folder named Map at the root level of either internal memory or the SD card, then place the gmapsupp.img  file inside that folder.