GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Washington 24K Topo Map

Started by Perry, July 05, 2009, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I was transferring some map segments from the Washington 24K Topo Map which is downloadable from this site.  The Windows download file name is "95-4065-watopo_install.exe".  I notice that at the latitude of Mt Rainier that there seems to be a band of 'duplicate' slightly offset map segments.  These have map names of the form "WATopo_A2".  Other map segments in the mapset have names of the form "Washington 24k Topo – 40ft_E2". 

Trying to select map segments in MapSource for transfer to the GPS without getting any of these duplicate segments can be a little tricky.  I mention this, in case the map author would like to fix it.

-Oz-

There are some definite problems with that mapset; perhaps a rework is in order.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Perry

What other issues have you run into with the Washington 24K Topo?

WaRob

Great site here, just starting out. Long time GPS user.
I just tried out the Washington 24k topo and noticed right away that some of the roads are mis-located and quite a few trails missing in areas I've hiked. Especially PNWT.
So I have a couple of questions. Is the map going to be updated? Do I have to uninstall to go with Above the Timber product? What is the best product out there for good trail and forest service road detail. Also BLM and National Forest locations?

maps4gps

QuoteIs the map going to be updated?
I am not the mapauthor; however since most of us get our road/street data from Census files and they are currently doing yearly updates around Nov/Dec, I would expect not till early next year.  I believe WA was done before the Dec, 2008 files were available, when 1/3 of the counties had not undergone realignment.

QuoteDo I have to uninstall to go with Above the Timber product?
No.  Unless you also select quads/tiles from WA topo, MapSource will create a new gmapsupp.img file which will replace the one currently on your GPSr.  Garmin Oregon GPSr can work a little different.

QuoteWhat is the best product out there for good trail and forest service road detail. Also BLM and National Forest locations?
There is no detailed trail data available at the national level.  The NWTrail mapset is likely the best you will find.  Depends on which State and what source material the mapauthor used.

WaRob

Thanks, I'll try the NWTrail.
Has anyone tried the Washington Topographic map by above the timber for back country hiking or hunting?
I'm a hunter and would like to get a map that shows the most trails and public forests (BLM National forests, State Land ETC). Would this be my best bet? I noticed someone posted about the same question. I would sure like to know what he came up with.