GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting property locations to latitude and longitude

Started by Leviely, September 26, 2015, 04:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leviely

To locate property edges/corners one must identify the numerical latitude and longitude.  This should be a very common requirement if one is utilizing any property for hunting and most other uses.

I do not currently own a GPS.  I have a significant need to determine numerous property borders on properties are wooded and would appreciate help.  How to translate something like SE1/4 NW 1/4 etc. latitude and longitude?   Is their one brand or model that would be better for this?  Is their software that would help?  any and all advice?  thanks

Boyd

Property corners are usually defined as vectors and not absolute coordinates. For example, you would start at a known location (such as a stake in the ground), then proceed 500 feet at 45 degrees NE to the next corner, then 250 feet at 60 degrees East, etc.

This may help:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/198851

Leviely

I figure the answer would be plat map program.  Is this right?

Boyd

Quote from: Leviely on September 27, 2015, 11:18:09 AM
I figure the answer would be plat map program.

What is the question?  ???

If you read the post by RangerRushton at the link I posted above, he provides links to a document that explains surveys as well as a free program he wrote for converting them to coordinates. The program will output a .gpx file that can be used in Basecamp on your computer or sent to Garmin GPS.

You need to realize however that all consumer grade GPS devices have an accuracy of about +/- 5 meters (16 feet). This will not give you "survey grade" results in the field. Maybe not such a big issue with a 500 acre property, but it would be a problem with a 1/4 acre homesite.

Jelf

In states that are part of the PLSS (most states west of the Mississippi and some states east of that river) it is common for legal descriptions to be expressed like the example given by the OP:
SE1/4 NW 1/4.

Such legal descriptions do not have vectors.

To further complicate matters, sections are often not perfect squares and section 1/4 corners are often *not* at the midpoint between section corners.

If your county has an online GIS you might be able to get approximate coordinates.  Be careful - sometimes those coordinates are in "state plane" and not latitude longitude.  Also, sometimes the property lines on a county GIS are fairly good in one area and obviously wrong in other areas. 

In addition to looking at the thread Boyd mentioned, try thinking of a google search.  Maybe something like: coordinates for property corners