GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMAP 60 CX can't load an img file-HELP

Started by Buckwheatzydaco, September 22, 2015, 08:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckwheatzydaco

I have a garmin 60cx and I am trying to load the device with the following .img file. Basecamp doesn't see it and Mapsource responded with "gmapsupp_IslandTopoV2.img is not a valid mapsource file and could not be opened.

Also tried loading the file onto the SD card in a folder I created called Garmin. Map was not found on device

I also tried Mapsettoolkit to load the .img file and still no joy.

The website that contains the file is located here..its Iceland

ourfootprints.de/gps/mapsource-island_e.html

Running Windows 7

I'm pulling my hair out. HELP

Boyd

The description of how to install that map in Mapsource seems very clear at the link you provided. It sounds like you did not follow the directions though. It says to download the map and run the installer.

QuoteDownload the complete-installation and run it.
That's it! Start MapSource/Basecamp and choose the map "Island-Topo" (and zoom in, because Iceland is not so big ;-)).

Based on what you said, you did not download the Mapsource version. You downloaded a file that can only be used on the GPS itself. I think the file you have should work on your 60cx with one small change. Change the filename from gmapsupp_IslandTopoV2.img to simply gmapsupp.img. Now copy the file to the \Garmin folder on your memory card.

Your older GPS will only recognize one map file and it must be named gmapsupp.img. If you already have another map named gmapsupp.img on the card, then you will need to delete it and replace it with the new file.

If you want to use more than one map, you should download the mapsource version of this map. Mapsource will then allow you to combine multiple maps into a single gmapsupp.img file.

Caveat: I did not actually download the map and know nothing about whatever specific problems it might have. :)

Buckwheatzydaco

Thank you Boyd. I needed reassurance that I was doing this correctly. Turns out that I was using the incorrect screen to select the map on my device. I followed the instructions "Changing Maps Displayed on the GPSMap 60C(S)x, 76C(S)x, and eTrex Series. Which can be found  here

gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/

What i still don't know is if it will actually work in the field. Is there a way to test this from my current location?

Thanks again

Seldom

Quote from: Buckwheatzydaco on September 22, 2015, 03:45:12 PM
What i still don't know is if it will actually work in the field. Is there a way to test this from my current location?

If you are physically in the region of the map and you have it turned on it should show up on screen.  If you are outside the area of the map you'll have to zoom out and pan to it.

Boyd

You can also configure the GPS to "simulate" a location in Iceland if you like. I believe this is called "Demo mode" on the older devices. See page 66 of the manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

When you do this, all the functions of the GPS will behave as though you are actually in Iceland. This can be helpful for testing things like the search function and for creating waypoints. IIRC, it's a bit awkward on the 60csx, because the map zooms WAY out when you go into Demo Mode and you have to then zoom way back in on the desired area.

maps4gps

I unzipped the download file and transferred the resulting .img file to my OR300.  Works fine.
Contour lines are only two levels - 500m; then goes to 20 m with 100m index lines when zoomed in more.

Buckwheatzydaco

Out of curiosity, now that I have managed to load the img file onto my device, how would I go about viewing it on my PC? Basecamp?  Remember the Gamin GPSMAP 60Cx does not install as an accessible device in Win7 explorer.

Boyd

I already explained this in my post above. According to that site, you need to download the Mapsource version. It is supposed to give you an installer. Run the installer and it should make the map appear in Basecamp and Mapsource. I did not try myself, but that is what the website clearly says.

This is not a GPSFileDepot map, so it would probably be better to get support directly from the author. However this tutorial explains the process for the maps hosted here with Basecamp: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Or see this for Mapsource: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/