GPSFileDepot.com

modifying levels for MontanaTrails with GPSmapedit, cgpsmapper and Mapsettoolkit

Started by newwood, July 04, 2009, 11:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newwood

I downloaded both NW trails and Montana trails (both fabulous) but wanted them to show up at level 3 instead of just at 0,1, and 2 and to change the color (I hate having to zoom in so far before the trails show up).  I figured I could just pull the img files into GPSmapedit, modify them, and use cgpsmapper and mapsettoolkit to feed the revised map back.  Not quite so easy as I thought as 1) takes forever, and 2) something always blows up (most recently I get everything created and can see the entire state and system of trails but in mapsource the map selection tool will only let me select half the state (the other half shows the trails but is unselectable). 

Anyone have an easier solution for this (since I'd like to modify the Northwest Trails set as well)

Newwood

Indrid Cold

An easier solution would be to contact the respective map authors and ask them to change the levels on their mapsets. that way, when they update their maps you won't have to go through this again and again.

newwood

Yes, that would be easy for me but seems an unlikely option (they've probably picked a level for a performance based reason, and I'm not sure if I was the author that I would rework something because some yahoo [that would be me] asks for it).  Hence looking for a way that I can do the mod to my own evil designs (but you're right--doesn't hurt to ask).

Perry

I don't think there is an easier way.  In GPSmapedit did you first delete all the data that was not on level 0?  The layers get recreated (as you specify) when you compile the map using cGPSmapper.

The other thing you could try is changing the map detail level on your GPS and see if that gets close enough to what you want.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Perry on July 05, 2009, 08:39:39 PM
I don't think there is an easier way. 

Always check with the author.

Quote from: maps4gps on July 06, 2009, 07:08:29 AM
Quote from: bbliss on July 06, 2009, 03:02:20 AM
These all seem to be free (as in beer) to download (with the option to donate), and free (as in speech) to modify.
They may be free to use, but modify gets into copyright issues.

-Oz-

Changing the settings on the GPS to a "higher" detail setting will probably solve this for you.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

newwood

Yes, I already had that set to the max so that's not the answer.  Rats.

newwood