GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

.shp file sets and projection files (.prj)

Started by duncan8881, September 12, 2015, 09:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncan8881

The local govenment gis system requires .shp filesets to use as layer. They say u need 3 files and then proceed to list 4 .sh,.shx,.dbf and .prj  the  software im using (gpsutility) produces the first 3 and does not produce the projection (.prj) and im not shure how to create it or aquire it . i have looked at several other systems and they all seem to just produce the same three files . Do i need  ArcVeiw or ArcGis for this?

maps4gps

1.  Check to see that gpsutility does not have an option to create the .prj file when it creates the other three.
2.  What is the projection?  And if appropriate for that projection, what is/are the standard parallels (latitudes), the central meridian (longitude), and scale factor and any other parameters that specific projection may use.
3.  Your local government GIS person(s) would like the .prj file included; however, with the info in #2 they should be able to easily open the mapset in most GIS or map viewing programs if the program supports that projection.

duncan8881

If I understand it correctly the projection is BC albers - NAD83 and I agree they should be able to read its the only projection they use . It is a public access system that allows you to load a shp file directly for your own use so  they don't have staff doing it. But Qgis did it for me i just loaded it and saved it in Qgis and it worked .