GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Apologies from a desparate newbie

Started by daveh, August 10, 2015, 11:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveh

I am ignorant but trying to figure this out.  I have a windows phone that I hope to use as a GPS for Grand Canyon hiking.  When I try to download topos from GPSFiledepot I get a fail message saying WIndows phone doesn't support this format yet it seems others with Windows phones are able to do it.

Any hints, clues, advice that might get me going in the right direction or is this impossible with this phone?  Are there other map formats that I could be able to make it work with?  Do I need an app to allow my phone to deal with these maps (downloading and reading)?

Also, any recommendations for apps (preferably free or cheap) that work well on a Windows phone for hiking GPS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience!

Boyd

Glad to see that at least one person has a Windows phone.  ;)

But seriously, all the maps on this site are specifically for Garmin dedicated GPS devices. Garmin use a proprietary format that is not going to work in you phone apps. So unfortunately I think you are on the wrong website for what you want.

I am familiar with apps on Android and iOS, but not Windows Phone. Garmin actually has the StreetPilot App for Windows Phone however. I have the iOS version but I don't know how different/similar they are. Unlike their dedicated devices, Garmin has pretty much locked down their phone apps to only work with the standard road maps that are bundled with the App.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/garmin-streetpilot/9nblggh0815q

There might be some tricks to get it working with third party maps, like the ones here, but that would involve hacking, and we don't discuss that here.