GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 64st

Started by deafirishman, July 07, 2015, 06:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deafirishman

I recently purchased a Garmin 64st and downloaded a Idaho Topo Map to Garmin Base Camp and then transferred it to the GPS SD card, its a 32GB SD card that was formatted to FAT32. I am unable to view this map on the GPS. I have disabled all of the other pre-loaded maps and left this one enabled but still cannot open or view this downloaded map. Are these maps compatible with the Garmin 64st ? I am very new in regards to operating a GPS so my knowledge is very limited in that aspect. Is there something that I am missing or a set of instructions that I could follow ? Thank you in advance for the help. I appreciate it very much.

Boyd

Does the map work if you put it in internal memory? Do other maps work if you put them on the card? What other maps do you have installed?

I think we need a bit more info to help you troubleshoot....

Seldom

deafirishman, are you in Idaho?  If not you'll need to pan to see the map.  If you're in Ireland that's a long pan. 8)

deafirishman

Seldom - I am actually in MN but hunt in Idaho so I need the maps of the area. I am deaf and irish so hence the username. I wish I was in Ireland  :D

Boyd - I did see the image that I downloaded from the Garmin Basecamp Birdseye imagery. I didn't realize that you had to go to Idaho in order to view the image. I was just messing around with the waypoints and had seen the name of the image I downloaded, and then had it take me to the image and there it was. It's hard for me to explain things in writing since I am really below the rookie standard as far a GPS knowledge goes. The first GPS I ever owned was a cheap eTrex that pretty much got me from point A to point B and back again with a few waypoints along the way. Very simple for me to use. This GPS will be a learning curve for me. I do not know how to install the map on the internal memory. I do know it's on the SD card.

Thanks for the help guys.

Boyd

In that case, I think Seldom has identified the problem. When you view a map in Basecamp, it will automatically be centered on the area that the map covers. This is not the case on the GPS, it will always default to your actual location. So you need to zoom way out, drag the map to Idaho and then zoom back in.

Unless you are going to use a lot of differnt maps, you probably don't need an SD card at all. If you continue having problems, simply remove the card from the GPS, then re-install the map. That will put it into internal memory. I suspect it is already in internal memory anyway. I don't use Basecamp/MapInstall much myself (I use Garmin's older software) but am pretty sure that it will install a map in internal memory instead of a card unless there isn't enough room.

deafirishman

That solved the problem guys. I really appreciated the responses and advice. Thanks again !!