News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map data is not available - Garmin

Started by adelossantos, June 22, 2015, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adelossantos

Greetings!

Could please help me to install the map (gmapsupp.mp) I created using GPSMapEdit 2.1.

What I did is I convert the polish format file (gmapsupp.mp) using CGPSMapper v0092 to IMG file (gmapsupp.img).
After that, I used GMaptool v.0.8.64.594b (using cmd: gmt –S –f 1684,1 –m "GuamMap2015" gmapsupp.img) and I were able to get the following file:
1.   19830710.img
2.   Mapset00.mp
3.   Mapset00.tdb
4.   Mapset00.mdx

Then, I used Mapsettoolkit v1.77 to install map in mapsource and I were able to get the following files:
1.   GuamMap2015.img
2.   GuamMap2015.mdx
3.   GuamMap2015.mp
4.   GuamMap2015.reg
5.   GuamMap2015.tdb

The problem, I was not able to see the map in Mapsettoolkit (under "Mapset installed" box),  so it seems that the map wasn't uploaded correctly in Garmin MapSource 6.16.3.  I even tried to install maps in Garmin BaseCamp.  The device was found (Nuvi 40) but there a message "No unlocked maps were found for this device".

I also tried to copy the different IMG files (19830710.img, GuamMap2015.img, & gmapsupp.img) one by one directly to my Garmin device but there's an error message "map data is not available" when I I tried to click on "Where To" then "Address" in my garmin device.   Though I could see the map when I tried to click on "View Map" in our Garmin device, even the Point of Interest (POI).

If I need to buy program or anything that I need to do in order to solve my problem, I am more than willing to do so.

Please help.

Thank you in advance,
Allan Delos Santos

popej

Hi Allan,

there are 3 independent tasks:
- compile map,
- create mapset for Mapsource/Basecamp,
- install mapset on PC.

I see you have no problems with compilation.

Creating a mapset can be done in multiple ways. Default way is to use cpreview program, which comes with cgpsmapper. Cpreview needs a configuration file, see cgpsmapper manual for details.

Second possibility is to use MapSetToolKit. You need to select img in main window, fill "Create Mapset" fields and click at "Start" button. MapSetToolKit actually creates configuration file for cpreview and execute this program.

Third possibility is to use GMapTool or gmt, the way you have done it. Short explanation for using GMapTool GUI version is here:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/install-map-mapsource

Installing mapset can be done in multiple ways too. To install mapset you have to create some registry entry in Windows registry. Cpreview creates a *.reg file, which can be used for this purpose, it usually needs some editing.

MapSetToolKit can install map too. In this case you start with the button "Install" and fill a form. Easier way is to start with "tdb" field. You should invent a name for "Registry name", usually this is something like "Family_123", where 123 is map FID number.

If you have used GMapTool for creating a mapset, then you should get an "install.bat" as an output. Click on it to install map.

Sometimes you need admin rights to edit registry keys. In this case run MapSetToolKit or install.bat as an admin.

adelossantos

Hi Popej,

Thank you for your quick response.

I followed the instruction that you give and this is what I've done.

1.  I used cpreview program (using cmd: cpreview gmapsupp.mp) and I were able to get the following files:
a. file_name.MDX
b. file_name.mp
c. file_name.reg
d. file_name.TDB

2. I compile my gmapsupp.mp using cgpsmapper (cmd: cgpsmapper gmapsupp.mp) and I were able to create gmapsupp.img

3. I create mapset for BaseCamp using your GMapTool (cmd: gmt -S -f 1684,1 "GuamMap2015" gmapsupp.img) and I were able to get the following files:
a. mapset.img
b. mapset.mdx
c. mapset.mp
d. mapset.tdb
e. 19830710.img
f. install.bat
g. uninstall.bat

4. I install mapset on PC using the "install.bat" and it was installed perfectly

5. I open the Garmin BaseCamp and the GuamMap2015 was found

6. Using Garmin BaseCamp, I install the map on my Garmin Nuvi40.  Again it was installed on my device perfectly.

Here's the problem, when I turn on my Garmin Device and tried to navigate it, I could see the Map (in "View Map) and I can even see the POI (transit, fuel, etc.) BUT when I tried to click on "Where To" then "Address", I got an error "Map data is not available".

Am I missing something?

Please help

popej

Cgpsmapper free doesn't support address search, you need a commercial version for this feature. And then you have to create mapset with cpreview. GMapTool doesn't create address search index.

adelossantos

Hi popej

Im using the Routable cgpsmapper version 0100d for windows with locking (commercial version).

If I can't use GMapTool to create search index, could you please let me know what other software/apps could I use to create address search index?

Thank you so much for your help.

adelossantos

Im not sure if this info will help to figure out what is the cause of the problem but I added coz it might be a good additional info

the file_name.mp that was created when you open it in notepad is like this:
  [IMG ID]
   ID=1
   Preview=Y
   Name=
   Codepage=0
   Levels=1
   Level0=0
   Zoom0=0
  [END]

and the file_name.reg that was created is like this:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\file_name]
"LOC"="C:\\myMaps\\"
"BMAP"="C:\\myMaps\\file_name.img"
"TDB"="C:\\myMaps\\file_name.tdb"

Note: all my files created are under c:\myMaps

I tried to use MapSetToolKit also to install the map in BaseCamp and additional files was created:
  1.GuamMap2015.img
  2.GuamMap2015.mdx
  3.GuamMap2015.mp
  4.GuamMap2015.reg
  5.GuamMap2015.tdb

Registry file that was created like this:
  REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\GuamMap2015]
  "ID"=hex:94,06
  "IDX"="C:\\myMaps\\GuamMap2015.mdx"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\GuamMap2015\1]
  "LOC"="C:\\myMaps\\"
  "BMAP"="C:\\myMaps\\GuamMap2015.img"
  "TDB"="C:\\myMaps\\GuamMap2015.tdb"

and GuamMap2015.mp looks like this:
  [IMG ID]
  ;ID=I12E97FF
  ID=19830783
  Name=Preview Map
  ;LBLcoding=9
  ;CodePage=1252
  Preprocess=N
  Preview=Y
  ;TreSize=511
  ;RgnLimit=4000
  Levels=2
  Level0=15
  Level1=13
  Zoom0=0
  Zoom1=1
  [END-IMG ID]

[POLYGON]
  Type=0x4a
  Label=~[0x1d]19830710
  Data0=(13.1747746,145.0460529),(13.1747746,144.5077229),  (13.7131047,144.5077229),(13.7131047,145.0460529)
  [END]

[POI]
  Type=0x0b00
  Label=GMapTool Preview
  Data0=(13.1747746,144.5077229)
  [END]

I were able install the map in BaseCamp and upload in to my device but the error "Map data is not available" is still there.

Again, thank you for any help that I could get.

popej

Please read cGPSmanual, which comes with compiler. Or you can download it here:
http://cgpsmapper.com/manual.htm

To get address search, you need address data in your mp source, see chapter 4.2.6. There should be an option in header "Numbering=Yes" or "Routing=Yes", see chapter 4.2.1 of manual.

Search index is created by cpreview program. See chapter 9 of manual. You need to prepare config file (PFM fils) for cpreview, see chapter 9.4.

adelossantos

Hi popej,

This is the scenario, we have an old MP file together with its old IMG file in our office (on old employee created it).  The same old IMG file is also uploaded on a Garmin device.  That old IMG file on our garmin device work perfectly - find address, POI, routing, etc.

Now, we modify some of the POI from that old MP file and compile it.  But like I said, I got an error message "Map data is not available".  Though, like I said, I could see the Map on View Map, the POI have no problem and if you select one of the POI, the device give you the direction (routing).

Then, I tried to compile the old MP file (no modification was made) but still an error pops up.

I even tried to use the old IMG file on the garmin device that was working & save as polish format (MP file) but the error still there.

So I guess (not sure though) that the original MP source have no problem especially the converted IMG file from garmin device that works but need some adjustment.

The reason why we cant use the old IMG file that was installed on our Garmin Device is we need to add & modify some of the POI since there are many building that was constructed in our area.

I hope for your continuous support & I'm hopping that I could get solution.

Thank you so much.  I truly appreciate your effort.

adelossantos

Hi,

Im still trying to figure out how to solve my problem about "Map data is not available"

In addition to what I did on my previous post, I tried to make a "PV.txt" to create indexes for global search.

The code is as follow:

[MAP]
FileName=GuamMap
MapVersion=100
CodePage=1252
Lock=Y
ProductCode=1
FID=1684
ID=1

[Files]
img=c:\myMaps\19830710.img
[END-Files]

After I run the cpreview (cmd: cpreview pv.txt) some files were created:
GuamMap.MDX
GuamMap.mp
GuamMap.reg
GuamMap.TDB

According to the cgpsmapper manual, there are version of the program that able to generate global indexes:
[name]_MDR.IMG

Unfortunately, there is no [name]_MDR.IMG

Do you have any idea how to create this file, how important it is and should I use the created files? Is this the reason why I'm having an error message "Map data is not available" on my Garmin Device?

PLEASE HELP.

zhrd

I am missing the command POIIndex=Y in the file GuamMap2015.mp in the section [IMG ID]. See cgpsmapper manual:

POIIndex=
N - objects will be indexed only if POI index info is explicitly provided
Y - all POI objects will automatically be indexed (may be searched by the Find function in the GPS)
Default = N

adelossantos

Hi zhrd,

Thanks zhrd!

FYI.... this is my header looks like:

[IMG ID]
CodePage=1252
LblCoding=9
ID=19830710
Name=Guam Map
Preprocess=F
TreSize=798
TreMargin=0.00000
RgnLimit=127
POIIndex=Y
POINumberFirst=Y
POIZipFirst=Y
MG=Y
Numbering=Y
Routing=Y
Copyright=GuamMap2015
FID=1684
Lock=Y
ProductCode=1
RegionCode=0
Levels=6
Level0=24
Level1=22
Level2=20
Level3=18
Level4=16
Level5=15
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1
Zoom2=2
Zoom3=3
Zoom4=4
Zoom5=5
[END-IMG ID]

So my POIindex=Y.... that's why on my Garmin Nuvi40 device, when I clicked on "Where To?" then "Point of Interest" then when I clicked on transit, fuel, shopping, etc., it shows me the list of POI and when I clicked on it, it gives me the route correctly.  Meaning, I dont have any problem with the routing.

My problem is when I clicked on "Where To?" then  "Address" on my Garmin device, the error message "Map data is not available" pops up.

This is a just a guess, but I think the cause of my problem is in the "pv.txt" that I made (see prior post for additional info).  Cause when I run it (cmd: cpreview pv.txt), the [name]_MDR.img was not created.

Anyone have any idea if my guess is correct?  How to fix it? How to use (compile/install) the [name]_mdr.img file. So that my problem about "Map data is not available" will be fix.

PLEASE HELP

popej

You should configure preview map in pv file, something like:

Levels=2
Level0=14
Level1=12
Zoom0=0
Zoom1=1

But you get a preview map, so this is not a problem. I can't see any other problems in your configuration. See log of similar cpreview run, where index is created:

cGPSMapper home page: http://cgpsmapper.com
              Preview & index builder for cGPSmapper - 6.9

Indexer compatible with cgpsmapper0100 version only.
Codepage set to: 1250
TDBProcessing: 00008001.img
MDRProcessing: 00008001.img
Creating indexes - be patient
mdr20.endmdr21.end mdr22.end mdr23.end mdr24.end mdr25.end mdr27.end mdr28
To process:1
100%.end mdr26.end mdr29.endTransaction end

Writing MDR file TEST_MAP_MDR.IMG is created.

REG file has been created - but you **MUST** edit it before use!
Fix key TDB to point to the file in the right directory
Fix key BMAP to point to the file in the right directory
Fix key LOC to point to the directory where detail IMG are stored

5.09 s

adelossantos

Hi popej,

I made a couple of changes in my pv.txt & I added [END-MAP] on my code.

Kindly see attached MSWord file since I tried to run/compile my MP file in two different process.

Please let me know which process is the correct process & please help me to solve my problem in Cpreview error.

I hope for your continuous help & support.

Sincerely,
Allan

popej

You are making some superfluous processing and I'm not sure what goes wrong. Make it simple. It should be 2 steps action: executing cgpsmapper for compilation and cepreview for making mapset.

I assume, that you have installed cgpsmapper and maps in directory C:\myMaps. Please prepare a batch file with following commands, copy it to this directory and execute:

cGPSmapper.exe ac gmapsupp.mp
cpreview.exe pv.txt
pause

Then you should get whole mapset.

adelossantos

Hi popej,

Thank you so much.  My maps works now on my GPS Device!

Now, I have to work on locking.