GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Northeast Topo 1 of 3

Started by 2 sleuths, June 26, 2009, 11:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 sleuths

Great map - Thanks for access to it.. Put this map into Mapsource and noticed the 4th largest lake in Wisconsin is missing - Castle Rock Lake, also Cottonville lake a fairly large lake.

Zoomed in plenty close, with highest details. You can see the rivers at the entrance and exits of the lakes.

Just Wondering - There are so many lakes where they should be, and way smaller lakes, why would some be missing? One would have to guess there are others, just noticed these because they are a couple miles from my house.

Approx locations:
Castle Rock Lake  N43 57.622, W89 57.547

Cottonville Lake, N44 03.531, W89 48.585

Sorry, wish I knew more about this so I could help - all I can do is point it out.

Indrid Cold

Thanks, the data might have been missing from the dataset used to make the map.

maps4gps

That is one of the issues in using NHD data for hydro - a lot of not built polygons for water bodies; sometimes even the shoreline lines are missing.  The source data set is relatively new and a 'work in progress'; but seams to be not correcting and even dropping features as they add to the capabilities of the data set. 
   The Wisconsin Topo uses hydro from Census - in most places, not as detailed, but has been used for a much longer time to have corrections made.  Are these lakes shown properly in that dataset?