GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

gmapsupp.img vs cgpsmapper img

Started by 93ToyTruck, April 16, 2015, 09:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93ToyTruck

Is there a difference between a gmapsupp.img created by MapInstall vs. an img file created by cgpsmapper?

For all intents and purposes, can I rename a cgpsmapper img to gmapsupp.img?

If I export a cgpsmapper img from GPSMapEdit, is the TYP file embedded in the img?

Boyd

For starters, .img files are "containers", so you have to look inside to see what they really are. cgpsmapper is generally used to make individual tiles for a larger mapset. MapInstall (or Mapsource) takes these .img tiles and other data (like a .typ file) on you computer and bundles them into the gmapsupp.img container so that it can be used in a GPS.

If you have single .img file created by cgpsmapper, you should be able to use it on a GPS directly, but it will just use what that device considers the default appearance for all the objects. The filename "gmapsupp.img" is a holdover from the days when Garmin devices only recognized a few specific map names. Devices made during the past 5 or 6 years don't care what the map file is named. I believe this started with the Colorado series, then the others named after US States.

I have a copy of Mapwel, another Garmin map compiler. It uses some strange format where a .typ file is bundled with each individual .img tile. I don't know if this can be done directly with cgpsmapper, I don't think so. But Stan had another utility called SendMap20 that bundles an .img file and .typ and can send it to the older gps units.

I use MapsetToolKit to create my own maps, but there are other ways. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

I'm sure Popej chime in here with more info, I always learn something new from his posts.  :)

93ToyTruck

Thanks. That helps a lot.

I'm asking because I'm going to try to load a map onto an OEM navigation system that uses a Garmin GPS. I'm going to use MapInstall to load it onto a standard GPS then I'll use the gmapsupp.img that it creates.

I have a feeling that they disabled the ability to load supplement maps but it's worth a try.

Boyd

If it is like recent Nuvi devices, then the pre-installed City Navigator map is in a hidden folder named .System. I suggest not messing with anything in there. The recent Nuvis have a folder named Garmin, but when I have tried putting a map file there, it was not recognized.

Instead, additional maps are stored in a folder named Map - you can create it if it doesn't already exist. Copy your gmapsupp.img file to the Map folder and see if it works. You should be able to name it anything you like, just use the .img extension - for example: NYtopo.img.

93ToyTruck

It appears that in vehicle GPS systems don't attach as a slave like portable units. The car has a USB slot that is used for music and updating the navigation system. The procedure to update the oem map is to place gmapprom.img in a Garmin directory of a USB stick. When you insert the stick, it prompts to copy the update to the system. I don't know if it's possible to attach to the drive directly. I'm going to try a gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin directory to see if it will install.