GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

garmin

Started by kenmayne, March 14, 2015, 10:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmayne

Hi all first time here. will these maps work on garmin nuvi? if yes witch ones. thanks kenny

Seldom

Most maps on this site will work on some Garmin Nuvis.
Caveats:
Most maps on this site are not routable, so you won't be able to use them for turn by turn directions.
Many Nuvis render maps differently from Garmin handheld GPSRs, so they may not look as they were intended to.

kenmayne

What garmin would be good for these maps. I would be mounting it on a atv. thanks kenny

Seldom

For an ATV environment, I'd suspect you'd want a Zumo. but somebody here who uses one would have to confirm that the maps you want to use will work with it.  Garmin won't be helpful regarding third party maps.

Boyd

The Zumo 590 would be nice, but it is *really* expensive. I have never used one, but the unique feature of this model is that Garmin specifically states it is compatible with topo maps and custom maps. That should give you compatibility with everything on this site. None of the other Zumos or Nuvis are compatible with custom maps (raster imagery).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-590lm/prod145273.html

I have spent a lot of time making my own maps as compatible as possible with the Nuvi. As Seldom said, most topo maps will "work" on the Nuvi, but they won't look very good. This can be improved if the map is created in a certain way. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone aside from myself who is doing this. But even with these "tweaks", the Nuvi will not display all the features of topo maps properly.

Another good choice would be the Montana 600. Not cheap, but a lot less than the Zumo (GPSCity has it for $400). It is specifically designed for topo maps and would also give you access to Birdseye, Garmin's satellite imagery that can be purchased for $30 for unlimited download. The Montana has many very advanced features and can also mimic a Nuvi for automotive use. I have had one for about 3 years and still love it.

kenmayne

kenmayne

Im going to go with the montana. how hard is it to install royal blue trail maps no it?

Boyd

Never heard of those maps. But the Montana should be compatible with any Garmin maps. Just use Basecamp/MapInstall.

Some maps are only provided on copy protected memory cards though. I would try to avoid those, because they must be used on the original card. That ties up your card slot with only one map and limits your options. If you want to use Birdseye, those files can be huge and it's helpful to put a big memory card in the slot.

BobT

Ken, the Tenn map that Dan makes will install on the Montana as will all maps on this site.  The Montana is a good GPS, I have one.  Nuvi's also work well for ATVing.  You can get a 5" pretty cheap at times and can get a good deal at Pawn Shops.  If you by chance ride a SxS then Android tablets are superior to anything Garmin makes.  My maps work on both BackCountry Navigator and OruxMaps Apps.  However none of the maps that you have to buy will work.  The reason is that they are locked and they will not give you the original tracks, mine are not locked and I give the tracks away.