GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New to the site from Texas

Started by DABitfire, March 02, 2015, 06:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DABitfire

I am new to the site and to the GPS world.  I currently have a Garmin Montana 600T.  I purchased it in the spring of 2014.  I ride ATV's all around the US (Arkansas, Utah, West Virginia, Colorado etc).  I have used it to track my rides and find my way around and most importantly find the cabin at the end of the day.  What I would like to do is be able to plan out the weeks ride, day by day, download the routes before leaving for the trips.  We are starting to return to some of the places we have rode so I kind of know where I would like to ride.  Now that the wife is starting to go along she is not as excited to hear me say "Yea the cabin over there somewhere, I think."  Thanks for any and all the help you can give, from the look of the page you have some every experienced people.  I look forward to learning from you, and hope I am not a major pain.

Sorry I have already made my first mistake.  My GPS is the Montana 600 series model 650T.

Boyd

You should be aware there are two categories of maps: routable and non-routable. Routable maps contain additional information that lets you search for addresses and create routes that will provide turn-by-turn directions to reach your destination. Non-routable maps don't contain that information and can only be used to show your current position on the screen, they cannot calculate routes or provide turn by turn directions.

Unfortunately, almost all the maps on this site are non-routable. Unless the map description specifically says that it's routable, you should assume it is not. Garmin's 24k topo map series is routable, and so is their City Navigator map. Of course, these are not free. ;)

BobT

I have made very accurate and popular GPS maps of ATV trails for the areas you mentioned.  Go to the Custom Maps tab at the top and look under the states for the area you ride.  I have made maps for Paiute, Moab, Taylor Park, and WV.  They look great on a Montana.   They are not routable.

DABitfire

Bob were you in Utah mid Sept 2012 on the Paiute?

BobT

Nope, last year I was in Taylor Park, the year before was The Paiute.

DABitfire

Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to playing around with it.