News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi 5000

Started by BKSLDR7, June 21, 2009, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKSLDR7

Does anyone use this model outside of a car?  If so,
what do you use for a power source? (requires external power only-no battery)

-Oz-

I doubt anyone uses it outside a car; the other Nuvi's have batteries so those work for a couple hours outside the car.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Why would you want to use it outside a car?  ???

Aside from an external battery you would also need the cradle to properly power it. You can power it through the USB connector on the back of the unit, but the maximum brightness will then only be about 50% of what you would have if using the cradle. I gather this is a "feature" and not a bug, since other Nuvi's with cradles behave the same.

alpine

I have been thinking of using this model for an ATV GPS. I always have power, so that's not a problem. The big screen is a plus for us old guys. I have been looking for a cradle for the 5000 but haven't seen one. The standard ball and socket is a little weak for ATV use, but I suppose I can stiffen it up.

I haven't bought any topo maps from Garmin, I'm wondering how mush detail they have. For MapScource, I've been using a topo I got this site. Works pretty good, but doesn't show whether an area is private property, BLM, State, or National Forest.

Thanks for any input.

Indrid Cold

Mount: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-5000-series-stainless-steel-u-bolt-mount.html

You didn't mention your area of interest, but it would be possible to make a land use overlay for that area.

alpine

That one is ball and socket, but it's possible to improve the stiffness. Thanks

The area of interest is mounting on an ATV. And loading topo maps. The little screens are a problem for us old guys, and being able to see more surrounding area would be helpful.

Also has anyone bought the topo maps from Garmin? I was interested in the level of detail they contain. I am using the Idaho topo map I downloaded from this site, and it is very good. However some in our group are interested in old mines and old cemeterys. That seems to be missing in a few maps. Also all the older 4x4 trails is of interest.

Thanks for any input.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: alpine on August 03, 2009, 06:27:37 AM
The area of interest is mounting on an ATV. And loading topo maps. The little screens are a problem for us old guys, and being able to see more surrounding area would be helpful.
was looking for something like Idaho for an area...
QuoteI am using the Idaho topo map I downloaded from this site, and it is very good. However some in our group are interested in old mines and old cemeterys. That seems to be missing in a few maps. Also all the older 4x4 trails is of interest.
you might look into adding Forest Service Misc. points to your overlay, and also their trails.

maps4gps

The GNIS should have point locations for named mines and cemeterys.  If for some reason they were not included in the Idaho mapset, you could make an overlay mapset with them or use Garmin's POI loader software.  I went the POI route before I created my first mapset.
   The Forest Service is creating maps and digital files for 'motorized use'.  They were supposed to be finished last year, but some Forest's have an extension to the end of this year.  Not sure were the digital files may be available - the GIS person in the local office copied them to my thumb drive when I can in and asked about them.  Note: in two areas we visited last fall, the data on CN was more complete, but would not have any info on use restrictions.

alpine

I have a BLM office nearby, I will go there and see what they have. I know they are into printed maps. But storing and using printed maps is a pain.

Any links you have on where I might get "overlay" maps?

Thanks.

Boyd

Quote from: alpine on August 03, 2009, 10:33:10 AM
I know they are into printed maps. But storing and using printed maps is a pain

As much as I like my Garmin units (I have 4), they are the wrong choice for certain things. OziExplorer CE runs on Windows CE based units such as Magellan, Navigon, HP, Nextar and others. It does not run on Garmin. But it is designed for use with raster imagery such as scanned maps, downloaded USGS topo's and aerial imagery.

Using Global Mapper and the PC version of OziExplorer you can easily create suitable raster imagery from downloaded sources or you can scan your paper maps and georeference them. I have USGS 24k topo coverage for several states now which I've made myself for Ozi, and about 25% of my own state (NJ) based on 1 ft per pixel aerial imagery.

In the car I use these maps on a Magellan Maestro 5310 which has a 5" screen like the Nuvi 5000. This is, of course, not the right place to discuss the details of making maps for non-garmin systems but just wanted to point out that there might be better tools out there for what you're trying to do.

maps4gps

I have a BLM office nearby, I will go there and see what they have.
This was not a small FS building, but also was not the FS regional office which he said had even more (higher up) GIS people.

QuoteAny links you have on where I might get "overlay" maps?
Are you asking about overlay maps of FS or overlay mapsets in general?  He said they were not all finished (both nationwide and in CO) and simply put the shapefiles on my thumb drive when I asked if there was a website which had all of them in one spot.  If you find a place where 'all' of them are, I would be willing to download them and create an overlay mapset.  It can be a little confusing on the GPSr when CN or roads/trails from Census are also showing the same road/trail.   Let us know what you find.  Anyone know if BLM has similiar data?

alpine

Well the trip to the BLM/Forest Service (they are in the same building) was a waste. The guy at the information desk said that Idaho had finished their part of the digitization of their areas. However he said the only place to get them was from the website. Download in PDF form and take them to a large scale plotter printer.

No thanks!

Boyd

If they are geopdf's then you should be able to do more than just print them. I guess "should" is the key though. Global Mapper promised to support them but has apparently hit a snag  >:(

http://globalmapperforum.com/forums/suggestion-box/1484-geopdf.html

Quoteglobal_mapper   06-30-2009 11:35 PM
It's still on the todo list, but the vendor that created the GeoPDF format has not been forthcoming with any assistance to support it. It's disappointing that all of these governments are abandoning GeoTIFF rather than just adding GeoPDF as most mapping/GIS applications don't support GeoPDF yet.

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Support

Boyd

Good news is you are using geoPDF's! Just got an e-mail from Global Mapper and version 11 has just been released. Includes support for geoPDF's and lots of other new features, including a 64-bit native version. See: http://globalmapper.com/product/download_complete.htm

alpine

Quote from: Boyd on August 13, 2009, 05:45:01 AM
Good news is you are using geoPDF's! Just got an e-mail from Global Mapper and version 11 has just been released. Includes support for geoPDF's and lots of other new features, including a 64-bit native version. See: http://globalmapper.com/product/download_complete.htm

At those prices, Garmin Topo seems cheap.

No thank you.