GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource/Basecamp readable file

Started by mabbent, February 26, 2015, 04:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabbent

I downloaded the Topo files for the states I'm interested in loading on to my Rino 650.

Each state contains multiple segments.

I used GMapTool to combine all the segments for each state into a single img file for that state.

I'd like to combine all of state files in to single img file and retain the ability to turn on/off individual states.

If I could read the img files outputted from GMapTool in to Mapsource, I could do this.   Or I'm I missing something in Mapsource that let me group the segments into single group and then join those groups into a new mapset?

Boyd

In the past, this site has discouraged discussion of ways to modify/combine the work of authors who post maps here.

But I don't quite understand what you are doing or why it is necessary. I believe the Rino 650 is what Garmin calls an "n-map device" which means you can load multiple map files in the \Garmin directory as long as they have unique names. If you want to use mapsource (which is obsolete software that Garmin stopped developing a number of years ago), here's the way to accomplish what you want.

Let's say you have topo maps of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Select Pennsylvania from the dropdown menu in mapsource and send it to the GPS. This creates a file name gmapspp.img Open the \Garmin folder on the gps and rename gpmapsupp.img to PA.img. Now Send the New Jersey map to the GPS and rename gmapsupp.img to NJ.img. Finally, send the Delaware map and change the name to DE.img. You now have separage map files for each state and they will appear individually on the map setup screen on your Rino so you can enable/disable them individually.

Mapsource also lets you select segments from multiple maps and send them all at the same time, if that's what you want. This was necessary on older GPS devices that would only recognize a single map file named gmapsupp.img. My experience has been that it doesn't always work correctly on the newer n-map devices though.

Alternately, if you use Basecamp/Mapsinstall then all of this is automatically done for you. I can't see why you would need gmaptool at all. But maybe I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish?

mabbent

Never mind, was in the middle of brain freeze. You are correct.  Thanks.